Thread: Book Cover with Post-Apocalyptic Middle East Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Map Book Cover with Post-Apocalyptic Middle East Map

This is my attempt at making a book cover. The centerpiece is a regional map of a post-apocalyptic Middle East. The story is set about 400 years in the future, about 300 years after a nuclear war has wiped out nearly everyone in the region.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flat Cover No Borders.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	56876

I started with a topographical map of the current Middle East, erasing all the low-lying areas (the seas have risen), and re-drawing the coast. Mesopotamia is part of an enlarged Persian Gulf, the Suez has become a saltwater marsh, and the lower peninsula is partially flooded.

For the topography, I used the Eriond technique by Arsheesh, with lots of smudging for the desert. The topography isn't a precise match for today's, but that wasn't what I was going for. I used GIMP and WILBUR for this one. No Inkspace icons this time; I wanted a bare look for the image.

I used a Supernova filter for the nuclear explosion.

I'm not sure about the non-map elements of the cover. The look of the text, the explosion, the fallout shelter symbol, these are things I may tweak. The map itself is done, though.

I welcome your comments/critiques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coriolis-albums-novel+maps-picture56834-cover.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	56836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	56858  
    Last edited by Coriolis; 08-15-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Updating the image to the current version