Thread: Faerun End Sheet Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Map Faerun End Sheet Map

Hi Guys!

It's been a long time since I've posted anything or contributed much to the forums and I hope to remedy that soon.

In the meantime, here's an end sheet map of Faerun that I recently created for R. A. Salvatore's new book "The Companions: The Sundering". I love mapping the Forgotten Realms!

© 2013 Wizards of the Coast
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_Faerun_Companions.jpg 
Views:	1751 
Size:	750.2 KB 
ID:	56841  

Guild Adept

It is clearly masterful, and yet I think the style is a little too cluttered for a b/w map. It would work better in colours.

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    It is clearly masterful, and yet I think the style is a little too cluttered for a b/w map. It would work better in colours.
    I disagree with that in part. While it certainly looks busy there is a certain appeal to a density of information. It also mirrors many examples I've seen of early maps which just try and jam as much as they can on the paper, I imagine part of the reason being to make it worth ones money. This map though seems to hover in a strange no man's land between a clean ideal and that ancient map ideal, so I see where you are coming from.

That said it still an amazing piece of work.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I kinda agree with Feanaaro. But it's still a very nice job. I especially like the way you show the depth of the underchasm.
    Last edited by - Max -; 08-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Amazing map. Thanks for sharing your work with us. I really like that you chose black and white for this map.

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I disagree with that in part. While it certainly looks busy there is a certain appeal to a density of information. It also mirrors many examples I've seen of early maps which just try and jam as much as they can on the paper, I imagine part of the reason being to make it worth ones money. This map though seems to hover in a strange no man's land between a clean ideal and that ancient map ideal, so I see where you are coming from.

That said it still an amazing piece of work.
    First off, this is no doubt a masterfully crafted piece. However I tend to agree that the map tends to feel a bit busy and that the features seem a bit indistinct. I think this is due to a lack of shading which would add more depth to the piece. Still, it is a lovely piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Well I assume it is going in to a paperback novel across two pages, which sort of restricts what you can do with regards to colour and space and such. So you have to fit in what you can using only a black/white palette.

Guild Novice

As a fan of the Forgotten Realms, I think it is an excellent piece of work. Since it is for the end pages in the book, the limits of the size as well as the intent of the image constrain just how much one can do with this type of map. Congrats on a job well done.