Thread: Seeking someone to make me an historical map...

Default Seeking someone to make me an historical map...

The subject of the map is the Scotland/England border during the Border Reiver period of the late 1500's to early 1600's

This link shows the basic area. I have access to some other maps on the net I can send for reference.

The Border Reivers

https://www.google.com/search?q=bord...h=889#imgdii=_

I am looking to print a set of rules for miniature gaming, and need the map for the book. I do not want to infringe on someone else's copyright by pirating from the net, so I am turning here to see if I can find someone who can help me out.

I am looking for it to be in color, as the book will be printed in color, and black and white just doesn't cut it, maps can be so cool to stare at and take in, definitely needs color. I like the more muted colors, sepia, or something washed out and faded, but still colorful...

I plan to use the map in the book, and maybe on my web site, and probably in Kickstarter. I am looking to have the rights to use the map in my rules, and to have the artist be able to use the map in his portfolio, but not to sell it to others.

I am hoping to go to print with the book in early 2014, so would be looking to get the map completed during the Fall of 2013, or earlier if the artist is able. More lead time is always better. I will be paying a layout artist to put the final book together, and I do not know what kind of lead time he will need.

I can be contacted through PM, I think, or through e-mail at andrewturlington--at--Hotmail.com

I do not know what sort of money these things generally run, so I don't have anything posted here about what I am willing to pay. I suppose it depends on what your other work looks like, and what you feel is fair, and any agreement we can reach with one another after that. I do not expect my Kickstarter to be a huge success. I will be footing all the bills upfront for the art and such, I am only looking to get the money for the printing through the KS campaign. That being said, I don't plant to make 100k doing this, so will be limited on what I can pay, but I am more than happy to try to properly compensate an artist for their work, I am not expecting charity...

Thanks!
    Andy
    Last edited by RobA; 08-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.

I did a recent commission for a historic novel set in that time period, so I already have the accurate vector source for the map including the border as a staring point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final-2013-02-09.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	56847

You can check out my portfolio (link in sig) and drop me a line if interested.

-Rob A>

What book was that for? One of the Robert Carey mysteries?

Sent you a PM as well.

Thanks
    Andy

I am unsure of how to change the header in this message, but the job has been taken at this point. Thanks for all of the replies, I had several people interested in the work, and all fo you had very nice portfolios. I will definitely be back on this forum for future needs, you guys are great!

Andy