Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An underground gorge

Post An underground gorge

I'm designing a little 3 encounter for a group over at EN World, and want to make some nice little battlemats to go with it. I'll be importing them into maptools and then saving a screenshot to upload onto the forums.

The first encounter involved the party actually entering the cavern, and are conveniently sealed off by a cave-in. The only way out is a hop over this little gorge and to climb up the other side, which is significantly higher.

I'm sure the gorge could look better, but I'm happy with it nonetheless. I'm going for sort of a hand-drawn cartoony thing, so that's the reason for the bold outline. My problem is that for the life of me I can't seem to come up with anything else to put on this otherwise boring map. I guess maybe a big rock or two, or even some stalagmites, but I just don't know.

Then I'm making a second map, which will basically be the other side of the gorge. Hopefully I can make it look like it's going back down into a pit of sorts, where all sorts of nasties will be. The third encounter will take place on the same map, albeit from a higher altitude (well, at least the big red fire-breathing bad guy will be higher, but I won't tell you what that's going to be.. ). Any ideas for that one would help as well...

I know you guys won't let me leave here with too yucky of a map, so I'm looking forward to your input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gorge copy.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	4919  

Well, the way it looks right now it appears the right side is higher than the left side. Is that the case?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Well, the way it looks right now it appears the right side is higher than the left side. Is that the case?
    Yes, that is absolutely the case. You don't know how happy it makes me that you were able to tell, so at least I know I've done that part right!

Sorry, IG I couldn't resist messing with your gorge. (There's a sentence I never thought I'd hear myself saying). Hope you dont mind.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gorgetrq.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	5000  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Sorry, IG I couldn't resist messing with your gorge. (There's a sentence I never thought I'd hear myself saying). Hope you dont mind.

Torq
    ... and one I never thought I'd hear directed to me! And of course I don't mind. Hell, I'd have given you the psd if you wanted.

The texture is definitely better, because there is some. Personally, I'm not feeling the--is that lava? Probably because I already had something equally nasty and way more sneaky for down there, otherwise I'm sure I'd love it just fine.

I do like that texture though. I'll have to play with it and see if I can come up with something comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    The texture is definitely better, because there is some. Personally, I'm not feeling the--is that lava? Probably because I already had something equally nasty and way more sneaky for down there, otherwise I'm sure I'd love it just fine.
    heh... just give your players a "map" that says there is a tunnel half way down the chasm and don't mention the lava on the map at all..... Should make for one hell of a nervous climb...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    heh... just give your players a "map" that says there is a tunnel half way down the chasm and don't mention the lava on the map at all..... Should make for one hell of a nervous climb...

Joe
    I was thinking more of a sort of gas that you wouldn't know was there until you were already desperately clinging to the wall. And it's a loooooong way down. Of course, whatever lies at the bottom is out of the scope of this adventure, but something way nasty, I'm sure.

I messed around with some textures after I got home from work...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gorge01 copy.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	932.5 KB 
ID:	5058

And after adjusting some opacity on the earth texture...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gorge02 copy.png 
Views:	603 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	5059

I think for my purposes I'm going to call this a finished map. Next up is to delete all but the base outline layer and the earth texture, offset the the base layer to move the gorge to the left side of the image, and work on the upper deck for the second encounter. Shouldn't be too hard now that I have a clue.
    Last edited by industrygothica; 07-09-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Hey, that looks really good. Like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Hey, that looks really good. Like it a lot.
    Thanks. Means quite a bit coming from you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast