Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooperative project revival

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    It was not for lack of skill that the CWBP became inactive. One of the driving forces was the Wiki that went with it and unfortunately, when the Guild suffered a severe hack/spam attack, the wiki got hit and for the worse. There were a lot of work done, both map-wise and in the wiki, by some great talent and it is a shame that it got dropped the way it did. If we ever do this again I am sure that we would do it taking into account some of the lessons learned.
    How can we avoid it ? I mean, if we lost the information it was because no back up where made. Someone or more than one person could be assigned to do this task.

A fresh start seems like the best idea to get something going. I'd also be interested in participating.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Now this is pie-in-the-sky rambling, but we might be able to use Perforce/Hansoft to do the versioning/backup of the project. I teach game design, and we're implementing these technologies on our school. To my knowledge, it wouldn't cost the school any addition money in terms of licenses to create a community project, and since community outreach is part of our mission, the school might go for it. I'll need to ask around though to see if this is a possibility.

If not through the school, perhaps the Cartographer's Guild staff could create a Google community for it? Won't have as good versioning, but it would prevent catastrophic data loss.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Default Re: Cooperative project revival

For those that we involved last time, about how many people were active in the world building? Perforce has a 20 free usrr version of its document management system. That would give us a very secure and safe storage of te documents, and exellent versioning incase we need to undo changes. I'm also looking at Google communities to see if that would work as well.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Well thanks for the info languard but right now the project is not even planned. I was just asking if people where interested. I told myself to wait till there is 20 people or something before devoting more time to the project.
    I have no idea how many people where involved last time and I don't really know how many people are sufficient to start it.

I'd love to participate as long as there is no real pressure to finish what I start. I realize that seems lazy but my hobbies tend to be cyclical.

Some basic questions about the world:

1- what projection should be used?

Mollweide projection, minimize area distorision but alter the shapes but I thikn it's accepteble
    Mollweide projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Winkel tripel projection, a compromise that reduce all distoritions but none of them are accurate
    Winkel tripel projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robinson projection: another compromis that is pleasing to the eyes but with more distorition with reality compared to the other two.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_projection

Kavrayskiy VII projection: mostly used in the USSR apparently
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kavrayskiy_VII_projection

Van der Grinten projection, because it looks cool, and it used to be National geographic default map
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de...ten_projection

Equirectangular projection, also known as plate carrée: pretty simple to find coordinate
    Equirectangular projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miller cylindrical projection: it tries to reduce Mercator excess
    Miller cylindrical projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mercator projection: no need for presentation
    Mercator projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just want to said that the projection will only have an impact on the main map. It will be created in order to fit the projection. Then if we work on the map, there should no problem. Also, feel free to suggest other that you think might be good for the map.

Other questions

2- what kind of landmass do we want ? and where on the map?

3- what about the univers surrounding it... how many satellite orbit around the planet ?

4- 1 or more stars in the system?

5- planet tilt

6- will it be an earth-like climate? colder, hotter...

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Just dropping in to say I'd be interested in this as well, though it depends a little bit on if there are any expectations on how much you should contribute with or if you can just map an area when you feel like it… I don't want to let everyone else down by not having time to do my part.

But it seems like a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    1- what projection should be used?
    If all the individual overland maps are done in equirectangular projection then the main map (overlaid with the user-created parts) can be reprojected to any other projection afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    2- what kind of landmass do we want ? and where on the map?

3- what about the univers surrounding it... how many satellite orbit around the planet ?

4- 1 or more stars in the system?

5- planet tilt

6- will it be an earth-like climate? colder, hotter...
    Something fairly Earth-like might be the safest option for a cooperative project. That way there'll be an interesting variety of different terrain and local climate conditions for people to choose. Whereas something like eg. a "waterworld" type planet or one that's all deserts would be problematic. There may be more leeway when it comes to things like suns/moons/other planets, depending on how realistic (if at all) you want to get with the astrophysics and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    If all the individual overland maps are done in equirectangular projection then the main map (overlaid with the user-created parts) can be reprojected to any other projection afterwards.

Something fairly Earth-like might be the safest option for a cooperative project. That way there'll be an interesting variety of different terrain and local climate conditions for people to choose. Whereas something like eg. a "waterworld" type planet or one that's all deserts would be problematic. There may be more leeway when it comes to things like suns/moons/other planets, depending on how realistic (if at all) you want to get with the astrophysics and all.
    I was thinking that we could make the map using a projection, Mollweide for example, and then make rectangular divisions for the separate maps. So all maps would be made using one unique projection. That way, the space occupied on the map is the same as in the "real" world. But it's not the best regarding travel. Maybe this would be a bit wierd, I don't know.

You have a point about the world. If we want a lot of people to participate it's better to have something we are familiar with. We could still have elements that are different.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast