Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Village of Östergĺrd

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Village of Östergĺrd

In a current campaign my character has recently become knighted and steward of a village. Last night when I had some downtime in the game session I sketched a map of the place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	karta_ostergard.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	814.6 KB 
ID:	56898

A friend of mine has the paper now and has promised to scan it in for me so I have something better to work with.

I'm planning to use this as a base for a map drawn in gimp. This will be my first serious attempt at computer drawing (I've always put it off because I don't have a drawing pad, but now I figure I should give it a try anyway). I'm thinking I'll draw elements like houses and trees and use them as brushes. The compass rose is something I should probably do at least part of in a vector graphic program, but I suck at handling those >.<

Any tips, tricks and opinions are super welcome!

It seems ok for a base map but it's very blurry. So, it's hard to tell.

That's true. I've received the scan today, which is A LOT clearer

I don't seem to be able to include it now, but I'll make another attempt when I'm at home.

Here we go:

Name:	ostergard.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	56941

Better?

I'm thinking I should attempt to do the compass rose in inkscape and the map itself in gimp. Anyone have any good tutorials to point med to?

I don't use these software so I can't really give a lot of advices but I found some things that might interest you.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...buildings.html
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/to...buildings.html

What are the curved lines along the river and the road ? Did you tried to make a topographic map?

The curved lines are very poor attempts at drawing fields.

I know they're probably not realistic in the least, but they're at least better than the yellow squares visible in all the town/village maps from my teenage years I'm hoping to figure out a way to improve them while I'm in the process of digitizing the map.

An update:

Name:	ostergard.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	56992

I've worked on the compass rose, using gimp. I really didn't seem to get along with inkscape at all, so I've given that up for the moment.

The heraldic shield will need the sword and sledgehammer. Also some effects. I saw a mini-tutorial on heraldic shields somewhere around here a few days ago. I'm gonna try to find that again, I think.

The tutorial was on Arsheesh's Miscellaneous tutorial thread probably.

I was going to ask, why do the Rose and heraldry on the computer unlike the rest of the map?

Yup, that was the tut I was looking for! Thank you.

I will be doing all of it on the computer, but the heraldry was the most fun to begin with

So far I've been doing free-hand drawing, because I don't know the tools well enough to know if there's a better way. Exception being the circle, obviously.

Am I doing alright so far? It's taken about three hours to make the compass rose, but I guess I'm getting faster as I practice.

I'm gonna try to use paths for the river. Which other tools are suitable for different parts of the map?

I think you should get rid of the with around the rose and replace it with transparency if possible.

A vector based program should be good with rivers to start.

To make the field you could do something like this If it's for farmland. : http://www.cartographersguild.com/cu...tml#post223169
    or some 45 degree lines, it might look good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast