Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August 2013 Entry: BLACKSMITH Redux

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Is that a stone-lined keyhole-shaped kiln in a mound in the top-right? If so it is very archaeologically accurate - I love it!
    Um, ah, Uh, why yes, yes it is! I always include archaeologically accurate components to my maps.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Bogie, this is great. I can see my dwarven smith spending more than a few days at a time here, coming up for air only for bodily functions. And to replenish body fluids with a keg of ale or two before heading back in...

My only crit is that I think the dwarven forge should be flipped so that the door opens towards the anvil. I for one would not want to have to move around that door with something so hot only to have it cool down enough so that I have to put it back in the forge. I makes better sense to me if all the Smith has to do is just turn from forge to anvil and have an apprentice close the door. It is all about Focus......

Maybe add a shoeing anvil and small fire pit near the opening so that he can work on that without bringing the horse all the way into the shop.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks, glad your dwarf likes it!

That is a good idea about the door, I never thought of that. And I can make the furnace on the right side look more like a forge than a barbeque grill. Add a small anvil and we have a horseshoeing station.

So, a lot more work on this last night ( stayed up way to late on a work night, just ask my wife )

I think it is almost finished, I'm going to let it settle for a day or so and then do it again in a higher resolution. Let me know if you spot any mistakes or things I can improve.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlacksmithRedux_bg.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	869.0 KB 
ID:	57111

This has a lot more depth to it than your original which better brings it to life I think.

Thanks Larb! The shadows under the trees helps a lot with that.

Here is a larger version at 100 dpi, (the previous was 70 dpi )
    They are similar but not identical as there is a lot of photoshop shading after DundJinni finished rendering the map and I did it a little differently each time.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlacksmithShop-Redux_bg.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	57146

I really like it (particularly the way you did the stream in the top right). My only suggestion would be to add some wall shadow to the wall layer so that it falls on the objects where appropriate. I might also suggest making the shadows you have a little darker and more defined (but that just my personal preference for lots of shadows and contrasts in my building maps.)

awesome stuff
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Looking Really good and Much improved over the before map. And that is saying alot ! BUT there is no way I would go bath or fetch water from that stream with that Nasty monster there !!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

What's wrong with swimming with a 5 ft long blood sucking worm?

What do you think of the wagon ruts in the road? I did them by hand and I'm not sure if I like it better with or without them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast