Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Rough-Hewn Acrylic Aerial Panoramic Pictorial thingy...

A more complete view of what it looks like at the moment. Still much to do

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 21.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	688.3 KB 
ID:	57067
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

This looks more like a painting (and i mean that in a good way ). Beautiful!
    Is this the "bloody sea" in the south? Looks like fresh blood seeping into the water.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Not quite that morbid. I haven't worked the water yet, just enough to define the coastlines. I imagine it'll turn out closer to the shadow color on the distant mountains, but who knows. Still messing around with ideas for possible styling techniques on the water.

I do have a small background in landscape painting. And since I likely won't be adding labels to it, it is more of a painting.

Here's another crappy phone picture and a bit larger than actual size, but it should serve my purpose; I'd like an opinion on the valley in the center of the picture. I'm not sure I like the terrain in the mid'section of this one yet... I DO like the upper sections of it next to and below the mountains to mid'picture, but everything below that... where it gets bumpy. Is it too weird or unnatural or different compared with everything else or ? It's how I happened to interpret the canvas today, and I'm half thinking of changing it tomorrow, but I'd like an opinion this evening if anyone cares to offer one. I'm really just winging it; I've never actually experienced firsthand such a mountainous area before and I'd like it to be at least halfway close to naturally feasible. Well... maybe a quarter feasible.

Name:	8 25 upper central valley test.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	469.6 KB 
ID:	57211

Update. Decided to rework it a bit and bring the wide valley to the right a little closer to what's happening in the central valley to make it all a little more cohesive terrain-wise... Still not there yet but I think perhaps more so. And you can ignore that really squiggly bit (yep, that bit right there), because it's not going to stay like that.

Name:	8 26 valley update.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	57238
    Last edited by Chashio; 08-26-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    A frame from phone video. Anyone know why a video camera would capture colors better than a still camera?

Attachment 57002

There's a couple of possible explanations. Video is taken at lower resolution that stills. Sometimes this is done by cropping into the chip, but other times it's done by effectively combining multiple photo cells to form one "pixel". This effectively means you're capturing the image with larger photo cells. Larger photo cells have a greater dynamic range, and therefore better tone and colour reproduction (the still images look really contrasty and saturated).

Another likely possibility is the compression and post-processing. A lot of phone or compact cameras do automatic post-processing to try and compensate for the poor quality image they produce. While this is all well and good, it produces a less accurate representation of the subject, which can be particularly noticeable if photographing something in very muted colours or similar. These same cameras lack the processing power to apply this post-processing to video, so the video comes out looking more natural.

Interesting to know!

That is cool! Thank you very much for explaining

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Still amazing I think the valleys look completely feasible; retracting ice sheets can create some interesting formations, like those.

Well, I skipped painting yesterday to tweak a commission to a final assessment stage. Getting back to the acrylic this morning I decided to work on that squiggly bit some more and see if I could arrange it more to my liking... while painting in a different location because I've been commandeering a nice comfy spot near a skylight in the guest bedroom and it's going to be occupied this evening... the chimney cleaner was due to be arriving for an appointment and as it happened he needed to interrupt me momentarily to help catch a little soot covered tree frog that jumped out to explore the furthest corners of the living room when he opened the hatch... He did catch it and we rinsed it off a bit in the kitchen sink where it almost escaped again... ah, fun times. haha! And I also decided to shift my technique to a more opaque, covering type and see how it goes. A lot of this so far has been transparent wash and glazing to try to keep as much of the luminosity from the canvas as possible... meh. And both the painting and photo of it came out more crappy than usual because the space I was painting in is too dark to be painting in.

And it completely serves me right for choosing to work there.

Name:	8 28.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	506.4 KB 
ID:	57275

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast