Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PLANETS from Satellite photos

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a funny idea but quite honestly none look like actual planets (a few are borderline OK, especially if you are going for a Star Warsy unrealistic game).

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    It's a funny idea but quite honestly none look like actual planets (a few are borderline OK, especially if you are going for a Star Warsy unrealistic game).
    It all depends on the look you are going for.

These are what I like and I intend to use them for my game.

If you like something more detailed and "realistic" I'm sure you could spend some time and make it so.

These take about 12 minuets each and I need some 250 to populate the sector... so this works
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

cool idea, but i think the problem is inherent in the choice of base pictures - the scale is just off. you shouldnt be able to see the individual buildings on a planet, and if the planet is so small that you should be able to, there's no way it's going to be that perfectly spherical. as an example - the 9th planet in th last set can probably be walked around in an afternoon, given the scale of those paths!

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Harvest View Post
    It all depends on the look you are going for.

These are what I like and I intend to use them for my game.

If you like something more detailed and "realistic" I'm sure you could spend some time and make it so.

These take about 12 minuets each and I need some 250 to populate the sector... so this works

Yeah, sure, of course you are absolutely free to do as you please, but you asked for feedback (or at least I understood it as a call for feedback) and these sphere are not planets.

tbh if a GM presented these as planets in a Traveller game to me, I'd have serious problems with suspension of disbelief.
    Last edited by bartmoss; 09-08-2013 at 04:03 AM.

I know there are a couple of tool to generate random planets. Automated or not, the best way but also the most complicated is by using different noise and cloud by difference options because it always gives random result (tough some may be bad). Using texture is not as good because it don't always scale well. So far I have not found anything really good that would make the process faster (some kind of generator with pretty good results) that don't rely on textures. I made a couple opf planets with photoshop but after 20 or so, they will all look the same.

You need some way to automate the process. Genesis 2 is a free action set on adobe website that generate planets. It's good to give ideas but rather limited.
    Last edited by Azélor; 09-10-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Yeah, sure, of course you are absolutely free to do as you please, but you asked for feedback (or at least I understood it as a call for feedback) and these sphere are not planets.

tbh if a GM presented these as planets in a Traveller game to me, I'd have serious problems with suspension of disbelief.
    Agreed! The planets are only as good as the base picture and the populated / urban ones don't lend well to the scale necessary for a "believable" planet.

My idea was to show a simple way to make your own planet using photos that have the look you want.

With that being said..... find a background (Google maps can be scaled) and apply this TECHNIQUE to make your own thus satisfying your level of disbelief! lol

PS. critique and feedback always welcome.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I know there are a couple of tool to generate random planets. Automated or not, the best way but also the most complicated is by using different noise and cloud by difference options because it always gives random result (tough some may be bad). Using texture is not as good because it don't always scale well. So far I have not found anything really good that would make the process faster (some kind of generator with pretty good results) that don't rely on textures. I made a couple opf planets with photoshop but after 20 or so, they will all look the same.

You need some way to automate the process. Genesis 2 is a free action set on adobe website that generate planets. It's good to give ideas but rather limited.
    Another option thank you, but I was offering a quick PHOTOSHOP tut for people without having to load/find/purchase/learn a new program.
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12