Thread: Help with my first map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help with my first map

This may involve some 3d work, but not enough to post it in that section, so I'm making it here since it's a bit of regional and that.

I'm working on a fan pokemon game with a few friends. The map that was made for the region is very old now (relative to the project), and has errors and needs to be updated/prettified.

So, that's what I'm trying to do. Most of the help I need is in regards to making it look nice: Having the transitions betwen biomes/colors look nice, adding textures and detail, and making the illusion of depth. Only minor changes to the actual layout are allowed.

I have experience with 3d software, so that may be something I make use of. In regards to the style of what I want the final map to be, ideally, it'd be like the official pokemon artwork for regions, but from a top down perspective as opposed to angled. That is, realistic in terms of how everything is displayed, but stylized in that it looks like art, and not like satellite imagery. But whatever is most feasible and still looks nice works.

Here is the original map that I am working off of...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vB4YqCW.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	56950 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	548px-World_map.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	56951

I'll try to get an image of where I am now soon...

Here's a (compressed) image of the map as of now, without the grid lines or routes showing.

So, the main thing is, do I want to edit the map entirely with 2d software, or turn it into a heightmap and work with 3d some for it? I fear my drawing skills aren't good enough for the former.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o1z4.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	57057

I you want to make this with a 2d software, you will probably have to make all the 3d effects by yourself. There are usually options to convert from 2d to 3d or to make 3d objects but unless you have photoshop CS6 it's just simplier to use 3d programs because it's not really good. I'm not sure about CS6 performance because I never tried it, but he is suppose to handle 3d better than his predecesor. It's good if you want to make simple shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I you want to make this with a 2d software, you will probably have to make all the 3d effects by yourself. There are usually options to convert from 2d to 3d or to make 3d objects but unless you have photoshop CS6 it's just simplier to use 3d programs because it's not really good. I'm not sure about CS6 performance because I never tried it, but he is suppose to handle 3d better than his predecesor. It's good if you want to make simple shapes.
    Well, I'd be using GIMP, not PS, either way. I've used gimp for almost 5 or 6 years now.

Any general tips for shading, coloring, or adding in map detail would be nice.