Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time attempt at Mapping.

Wip First time attempt at Mapping.

This is the map I'm creating for my first fantasy novel. No labels on this one, I'll eventually label some key elements in it, but then go back and do enlarged areas and do the proper labeling then. Again, my first time mapping, could use some feedback and critique
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jaronac; 08-18-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Unfortunately, this picture is really too small to allow for proper critique. Can you post a larger version? I am not sure if you did this, or even knew about it, but we do host pictures here at the Guild. To the bottom right of the reply box there are three buttons; click the "Go Advanced" one. This will bring up the window where the tool bar includes a paper clip icon. Clicking THAT brings the upload screen. This way there will be a thumbnail with your post and the full size image is available when someone clicks it. I would like to see this larger.

As for actual comments on the map, the only thing that I notice atm is that the mountain ranges seem too linear and orderly, if that makes sense to you. Try to give some variance to the arrangement, size and shape of them. You can still keep the ranges where they are but have some spurs going off the main line with smaller peaks the further away, possibly ending in foothills.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks Korash, let me know if it worked this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

the picture got attached but stayed the same size. How big is the picture? If I remember correctly, the file size for jpg is around 4.7 mb.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Actually, it's hand drawn, and I don't have access to a scanner, so I took a picture of it with my S4. That being said, its only 2.64MB.
    I may have to wait and get to a copy/upload shop here in town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130817_205920.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	56990

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, welcome to the Guild, jaronac. I like what you've done there so far, especially that valley/rift thingy. However, the river(?) that flows through it is a little unrealistic in that it splits in two and flows in opposite directions to empty into the sea. 99% of the time, river branches merge together on their way from higher to lower elevations, and the resulting larger river will look for the easiest access to the sea; if it splits, eventually one branch will dry up, as the other will have, no matter how slightly, better access and flow to the sea. Of course you could have some magical reasoning behind it that makes perfect sense for your world.

I really like the manner in which you drew your features, it's very clean and clear. The river may be an issue but I kind of like it anyways

If I could draw I would probably do something like this. So it's really looking good. The thing that bothers me is the desert on the right. I think that the dunes are too big compared to the other elements. But they are well made.

Lovely style jaronac. I think this will make a fine accompany map for a novel. Welcome to the Guild.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I love the foothills idea Korash, I'll definitely try to incorporate something like that.

Actually, Diamond, it does play a significant role in my novel. But I thank you and I'll remember that for the rest of the map. Thanks

Thanks Falconius!!

Thanks Azelor, I see what you mean, I'll work some more on that area and see what I can come up with.

Thanks Arsheesh!!

Thanks again everyone!! I will post an updated pic in a couple of days and you can give me some more feedback and critique hopefully.
    I'm really starting to like this, I've never actually tried drawing anything before and I definitely still need a lot of work/practice.
    Last edited by jaronac; 08-20-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast