Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cave with Pool

Default Cave with Pool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cave-01-1000.png 
Views:	944 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	56977

Following Torstan's tutorial on creating caves and a map I generated from Donjon's Random Dungeon Generator, I was playing around with a cave map this morning.

The only real variation that I made from Torstan's original tutorial was that I used a water feature rather than lava.

I love how the shadows work with this design and plan on using it for my future work. The water turned out fairly well using the marble as an overlay with some highlights and shadows to show the depths.

Name:	cave-01-water.png 
Views:	2972 
Size:	637.3 KB 
ID:	56978

Let me know what ya think. I'm wanting to add more details to the cave system (like a stream flowing from one chamber to the other) or a deep chasm or pit in one of the side-chambers but still working on how to do that.

If anyone has any suggestions about the chasm please let me know.

Thanks again Torstan!

-Green Pilgrim.

Lol. Well, I found the next project that combines both a stream in a cavern and possibly a pit - and it's from Torstan.

The image he posted to his Deviant Art Site (here) seems like a perfect match.

Name:	The_Low_River_Map_Pack_by_torstan-thumb.png 
Views:	4837 
Size:	314.8 KB 
ID:	56985

Now if I can only figure out how he did it.

And as for my 'chasm' idea... I think I'm just going to use the map I posted earlier and turn one of the sections of the map into a pit.

Name:	cave-01-Pit.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	753.1 KB 
ID:	56986

Well I can't see torsten's pit but his map is really really nice - you are right to use it for inspiration. The blue of his water really stands out - perhaps you might consider using his more muted colour scheme for your water too? Your map is very nice by the way.

Name:	cave-01-Pit-01.png 
Views:	4129 
Size:	810.3 KB 
ID:	56987

Here's the first crack at the pit. I used ever-smaller layers of shading to create depth and then drew in cracks and added highlights to bring them out a little more.

I'm happy with it - I mean...I can tell that there -should- be a pit there but I'm still not sure on the shading.

Any comments would be helpful.

-GP

Oh - he didn't have a pit in the map that he posted but he used contour lines to show how the water had dug into the rocky floor of the cave. I thought that I could use the same principle to try and show depth for the pit.

The problem with your pit is that it looks too similar to your cave walls, so the casual viewer will not notice that there is a pit there at all and instead see a section of rock. You'll need to find a way to differentiate pit from rock.

EDIT: maybe just remove the black outline?

Yeah - once I saw his version of water I changed my 'pool's color to match. It looks much better.

Name:	cave-01a-water.png 
Views:	1295 
Size:	746.7 KB 
ID:	56988

Edit: Well, less vibrant.
    Last edited by Green-Pilgrim; 08-18-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Attachment 56991

OK, so I blurred the outline of the pit and then added a layer over it of the shade of the first 'ring' inside the pit to help the two blend together. Hopefully this will flip the viewer's perception that it is not another wall but a different feature.

Edit: It still doesn't look right. Hrm...
    Last edited by Green-Pilgrim; 08-18-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Anyone know why a picture would show up as a link rather than the actual picture?

For example: In the above post I see "Attachment 56991" rather than the picture. If I click on the link it works but...it doesn't do that for the other posts.

Thoughts?

So going along the lines of 'Elements' that you can add to a typical, cavernous encounter I started wondering what I could toss into these maps to make them interesting.

So I started a list:

Lava Flow (from Torstan's original tutorial)
    Water (pool of some kind)
    Pit / Chasm
    Slime (either large sections of it covering the tunnels or a chamber.
    Moss / Lichen (something green and carpet-y that they will have to walk through)
    Webs (though I have almost no idea how to simulate this for a cave floor)

And that's when I kind of drew a blank.

Anyone else have ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast