Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 12][Town 02] Fort Lost

Post [Region 1][Map 12][Town 02] Fort Lost

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I've got Fort Lost (from Ravells' Beastlands - Region 1, Map 12).

-RLucci

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FortLost.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	4935  

Guild Journeyer

So, as we're both doing a map in the same region, any thoughts you had on yours that might ripple over to have an effect on Irontown?

Post Actually...

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, that's PORT Lost, not FORT Lost... though I am sure you could place a fort in that port...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Nope, that is an F, not a P. But I'm sure you could put a port there.

Name:	FortLost.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	4936  

Hey Neighbor!

I'm mapping on the other side of the lake.

Talk to me about your race and peoples choice. I sort of thought that "Fort Lost" wasn't that safe . Perhaps our settlements work(ed) together?

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    So, as we're both doing a map in the same region, any thoughts you had on yours that might ripple over to have an effect on Irontown?
    I thougth I'd make the fort an old ruins. Nothing there but adventurer fodder. So, it wouldn't have any impact on nearby Irontown (Other than act as a source of rumors).

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Talk to me about your race and peoples choice. I sort of thought that "Fort Lost" wasn't that safe . Perhaps our settlements work(ed) together?
    Like I stated above it's now a ruins. I'm going to say it was a smallish fort predominated with humans. I'm sure that when it was active there was planty of trading going on with neighbors.

I wanted to keep it small because, frankly, I've never done a full ruins before and I didn't want to bit off more than I could chew.

For giggles, I'll post my terrible quick sketch that I drew so I could have a base to work from.

Please don't laugh too terribly loud.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	4937  

I like the beginnings.

My biggest gripe with ruins are that they are generally too too grand. A small ruin has charm and believability. If there was enough for a grand ruin it would probably be pulled down for the stone.

If you think about what it would cost to build that's a pretty significant ruin!

Sigurd

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I like the beginnings.

My biggest gripe with ruins are that they are generally too too grand. A small ruin has charm and believability. If there was enough for a grand ruin it would probably be pulled down for the stone.

If you think about what it would cost to build that's a pretty significant ruin!

Sigurd
    Who is going to pull it down? It is 50-60 miles to the nearest village, the road might be about 100 to the nearest decent sized town. Even if a few locals haul away stone for their own things, there was likely a village closer by that would make easier pickings for cut and dressed stone. If I was going to knock bits off a castle to salvage stone for my own use, I would likely nip away at parts of the upper walls where gravity is going to help me, and I'm not risking bringing half the castle down on me . Look at how many large castles stood abandoned in Europe. The biggest thing he'll have to work out is just WHY someone built that big of a castle there in the first place, and what caused the reason for it to exist to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Who is going to pull it down? It is 50-60 miles to the nearest village, the road might be about 100 to the nearest decent sized town. Even if a few locals haul away stone for their own things, there was likely a village closer by that would make easier pickings for cut and dressed stone. If I was going to knock bits off a castle to salvage stone for my own use, I would likely nip away at parts of the upper walls where gravity is going to help me, and I'm not risking bringing half the castle down on me . Look at how many large castles stood abandoned in Europe. The biggest thing he'll have to work out is just WHY someone built that big of a castle there in the first place, and what caused the reason for it to exist to disappear.

Agreed. If there is a reason for it to be built, there can be tons of reasons for it to to not have been cannibalized: plague, drought/famine, monster attacks(lizard men for example), insanity, undead, rebellion, cursed, magical destruction(though perhaps partial ruining the castle), etc. Any combination of these (and surely others) would account for the abandonment and superstition could keep people away from the fort.

Of course, with a name like Fort Lost, I assume it has been abandoned so long that no one remembers the original name.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast