Thread: Suggestions Needed.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Help Suggestions Needed.

I've been working on a map to hand out to my D&D group of the Chaos Scar. The versions I was able to find were all low quality so I set out to recreate it. I am happy with everything except the dead trees in the terraces. I've tried a few methods and everything I have done so far has left me feeling that they look more like cracks than trees. I asked my wife what they were and showed her the map and she replied "rocks". For my purposes I could just go ahead and use the map as is, but I don't want to.

If anyone has suggestions/tutorials/examples of top down dead trees/forests, I would appreciate the help.

One idea I had and have not tried yet is to just do a version similar to what I have done for the live areas, but without coloring.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chaos-Scar-Map-handout.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	56828

::Edit

Trying this out. I like it better, but still not 100% sure it's the best way to go.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dead-woods.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	56832
    Last edited by Harold Harmon; 08-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Knowing what they are, it's easy to see the symbols as dead trees in the first image. However, your main forests use a more textural approach rather than symbolic, so I think your idea of coming up with something similar to the live forests in a dingy grey-brown is a good idea. And perhaps instead of the tufty canopy lines, they could be spiky to represent the leafless branches.

You may also gain some benefit from a Google image search on "forest fire aftermath aerial." That's obviously going to get you photographic reference instead of illustrative, but it might serve as inspiration.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

It look good but I also think your burnt forest need improvement.