Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Work in Progress I need your help!

I like the style quite a bit. If I had to offer a comment, it would be that the main thing my eye notices is the identical images scattered across the map. Each time you use an image, it's the same size and color, and that's something I happen to notice. I don't know if I'm weird that way or not. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, but if it's possible to do, you might experiment with creating alternate versions of your images, either flipped, resized, or recolored, or combinations thereof. See if it improves things, or just clutters it up and/or makes it harder to work on.

Keep up the good work!
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Ok A small update.
    I'm not sure if I like the forest but it's hard to work with such a small trees when each one is just a few pixels. maybe someone knows of a good forest texture/brush I could use? Something which looks good on a small scale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_map.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	57038
    But I like the big mountain I made. I didn't expect it to look nice ^^

Ps. I got the pattern from Subtle Patterns | Free textures for your next web project.
    Pss. I posted too fast. A few minutes later I made a different forest pattern. it's unfinished b/c I have to go to work. Still I think this new one looks much better.

Views:	77 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	57039

Psss. And another small update. I want to ask you about those hills with fields on them. they still feel a little out of place. I love them and want to keep them but there is something off imo.

Views:	84 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	57041
    Last edited by Nian; 08-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Maybe you are intending it, but... What if you took out the grey-green outerglow/stroke around the second version of the trees? Because the trees on the other slopes (which were already there) are just black and I like those.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

it is intended b/c I want to add a few other kinds of trees which will have diffrently coloured "stokes" around them. I'm actually thinking about removing those black ones and replacing them or simply put simple black ones on the slopes and colourful in the valleys.
    besides that I twould be such a pain to remake those b/c it's all 1 layer and I would have to remake all trees. =P
    Last edited by Nian; 08-20-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Well if you're intending to go the route of replacement, I'd suggest a magic wand selection to grab the trees, copy to a new layer, then add your stroke to that layer, or paint a stroke between those layers.

Ok I did a very fast change to the trees just to see how it would look like if I used the same ones I used on the slopes. Imo it looks much worse.

Name:	yu.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	57043

You made the ground darker as well... that makes the trees a little too hard to read, but I like the forest style. It's your map.

And yet another update. I hope I am not updating too ofthen. if there is a way to delete some of the pictures I uploaded earlier please tell me. no point cluttering the servers =p

Views:	67 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	57062
    I added new trees. I don't want the map to be monotonous and want to add a lot of variation. I can only hope it will all suit together. those different looking trees will be used only occasionally so there won't be whole sections of the map with completely different style of trees/mountains/rocks etc.
    Ps. And another small edit. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zfntIhW.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	57063
    Last edited by Nian; 08-21-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Actually, we usually like to see the progression. If you start deleting things, then the thread doesn't make as much sense, and everyone involved learns a little less.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I have a very big dillema. Which forest should I choose? the one you was earlier or the new pine trees shown here:

Views:	82 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	57086

After some thinking I feel like the old ones are better. The new one are a little too dominant and "in your face" and those forests are mainly there to fill small gaps.
    Last edited by Nian; 08-22-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast