Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Work in Progress I need your help!

Totally different style than a lot of other people here. Its got a very fun and cartoony look, but at the same time has enough serious elements to keep a viewer browsing. I like it a lot. My only suggestion would be to explore some different water textures for your ocean. Your map gives a lot of impression of depth, yet the ocean seems very flat and top-down. Not sure if that is just a placeholder texture or if it is supposed to be the finished look. If it was me, I'd go with something cool and bright with some horizontal wave lines. Something to help the water match the perspective depth of the land. Also matching it in a similar color/style to your rivers would help tie it in.

Overall it looks pretty fun and interesting so far. I'm excited to see how you finish it.

If you're not yet pleased with them... The mountain clouds might be interesting if much larger and more wispy like the mist in the trees, with the mountain peaks coming up through them. Just an idea. This is quite a cool and unique map style, nice to see something a bit different around here. Great work!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I've been experimenting with the water. I really love this wave "pattern" but It's definitely too "in your face". I have to find a way to tone it down a little but I don't know what to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_map.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	57250

oh I forgot to flip the tides b/c wind is clearly blowing from east to west.

Another version. I think I like it better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_map.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	57251
    I guess i will add a little blue colour under the waves and lower the opacity so they are more delicate.
    Last edited by Nian; 08-27-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I like what you are doing here. A lot.

However, I am not sure that you need to cover the water with all those waves. For one they are quite large and look to be overpowering some of the coastal features, and secondly filling the water with all waves will make the the main eye catcher. I think an approach similar to what you did with the clouds (wispy and individual) will go a long way to make the waves still stand out but not overwhelm any other part of the map.

BTW, I too like the second style of waves much better. Out of curiosity, have given any thought to just lining your coast with the same style of water that you used for that river with the falls? that is just gorgeous.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I agree about the river water... that would likely be just enough to make the ocean distinct and pretty but subtle enough that it won't overpower all of the effort you've put into the landscape. I do like the second wave pattern quite a lot, but it's very strong for all of the other stuff you have going.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I agree about the others in regards to the waves being a bit overpowering visually. Since your land is so busy I'd just allow the ocean to have a more subtle pattern. I know you already have one so maybe keep that going or strengthen it up a bit.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wow, this is really creative! I wish I could think this outside the box!

I have to echo the wave comments from everyone else. I would suggest that the problem with your first ocean pattern was that it was also too "busy". Maybe if you had a flat texture on the ocean, that starts out a lighter hue near the shore and fades to a darker hue? Then add in a few stylized waves as someone else suggested to provide that perspective depth and I think that might be what you are looking for.

Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work please!

Thank you all for kind words.
    I took your advice and made my water look simple. I did a few things to make the land feel connected to the water so i think now it looks fine. I won't post another update b/c I am very close to finishing the map so I have to leave something to show at the end =P I guess i can say.. see you in Finished section ^___^

ps. I will update this post when I make a new thread =]
    Pss. I don't really think outside the box. I am heavilly ispired by a map from a wii game but I lacks skills to copy professional work so I always end up with something looking quite different =P

edit. here is a link to the finished map ^^ http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...tml#post224079
    Last edited by Nian; 08-28-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Those waves no, but I think a person could get away with really in your face waves. These ones made me think of those ones on the old Japanese prints which are super stylized and fantastic and I would think would fit right in with the rest of the map.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234