Thread: Risk style map of 500AD Europe

Wip Risk style map of 500AD Europe

Hello everyone,

It has been a while but recently I had some free time again to create a new map. With the new knowledge from the tutorials and by looking at maps of other people I tried a different approach and I'm satisfied with the result. It's a map of the post-Roman, post-Hunnic era somewhere in the year 500 meant to be used in risk games. I'd like to hear your opinions and maybe some suggestions of things I missed. Also if you guys know a good font for the labels of the regions, I couldn't find a good one myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map500final.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	747.4 KB 
ID:	57027  
    Last edited by Jan; 08-20-2013 at 05:01 AM.

I'm surprised no one has responded to this! This is a really cool idea You should have a connection from Neustria and Austrasia to Sussex for sure.

Yeah there hasn't been much interest in this. I didn't make a connection between Franks and England because I wanted it to feel more historic and focus on the Angel-Saxon moving to England.
    So here's a newer version.

Changes:
    • Made the map brighter
    • Redid the legend
    • Changed fonts and labels
    • Added forest in the wasteland

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map500Next.jpg 
Views:	2036 
Size:	828.6 KB 
ID:	57271

Nice work. The new legend makes for far better color recognition, too.

Its a nice map but as a Risk board it needs adjustment. You've shackled yourself to a map of Europe that's too accurate. The original Risk board works because it priorotises gameplay over accuracy. There aren't too many areas, and the biggest region is only three times as big as the smallest. In yours, the smaller regions have such a high relative reward that they will be entire focus of the early Risk game. The Burgundii have only two regions, with a bonus of 2, and the Visigoth regions has an extra 7 areas for only 3 extra armies. Also, you can't have bonuses for a single territory like Frisia - either join it to another grouping of make it a no bonus. I'd join the Frisii to the other Danes, and include Mauretania and Tripolitania with the other African states. Join up the German areas, add a couple and make it a genuine region. You should try tilting the map about 45 degrees counter clockwise, which would reduce the amount of Scandinavian or Russian blank territory. I like the idea of one-way crossings, but you can't have only one way out of Britain, because Neustria or Brittanica could be filled with neutral armies and block any chance of someone playing out of the Celtic or British areas into Europe. I also like the idea of areas like Eastern Britain that can be added to army bonuses of different regions. You could do a couple more of these in other areas of conflict such as Britannica, Cappodocia and Illyricum. Unless the board is three metres across, Frisia, Rhaetia, the Baleares and other sections are too small to put many armies on. They need to be made bigger. You'll see on the original Risk board that the smaller areas are all near oceans so it doesnt matter if armies spill over.

Indeed, maybe I focused too much on historical accuracy. I'll join alemanii and Raetia togheter, add Frisii to the yellow region, call them Northern Germanic tribes, add Mauretania and tripolitania to the Vandal empire, lose Baleares as a region. Britain is most problematic though. I guess I'll have to join some of them at the cost of accuracy. However I don't think I'll add the Eastern-German regions. I have no idea how to call the regions or which tribe lived there at that time.

To address your balance suggestions I think the small regions don't give that much of a bonus (+1 isn't gonna make you win the game) and while Burgundy does give relatively more units than the visi-goth region, Burgundy is accessible from 7 other regions and the Visi-goths only from 5. Of course I could still reduce the accessibility of certain regions by adding impassible mountain, river and forest borders if needed. About Britain, Australia in the original risk also only has 1 way out. You usually play with random placement so you only being present in Britain is very rare and if you have the whole British Isles a mere 3 neutral units isn't gonna keep you locked in.
    The conflicting areas are a good idea though. Franks could get a bonus if they hold all of France, Byzantines if they hold Armenia and Sassanids if they hold Palestine, Syria and eastern Turkey.

As per my outline, here is my version of the Risk Board
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Risk500AD.jpg 
Views:	1377 
Size:	574.3 KB 
ID:	57376

Wow that's really good. Feels a bit more cartoon like than mine but fits Risk better. Did you edit my map or did you start from scratch?

A bit of both. Some areas are manipulated copies of chunks of your map with some freehand to make it all link up.

Hi - Just wanted you to know that this map is great - I'm a medieval professor, and I'm linking to it in a presentation on Anglo-Saxon europe -- great visual aid to help my students!