Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 13][Town 03] Stormlit Cloister

Post The one on the right...

The one on the right with the drop shadow is better than the one without. Perhaps the shadow needs to lengthen a bit, but it does help define the walls and the verticle feel you are looking for.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I definitely like the drop shadow but it depends on how "architecty" you want it to be. I'd say if you go with the drop shadow you have to add some grunge as well to give it a lived in look. If you have a pure conception and planning sort of map (also a valid style) I'd avoid the shadow.

Sigurd.

It looks really nice.

Thanks Guys. I always get tempted into using effects and for this challenge I thought I would try to avoid them and make this an archtecty style....but the pull is strong! I kinda like the drop shadow...maybe I'll make an exception and allow myself just one effect....

I think the shadow works very well. It adds a huge amount of definition but its very subtle and seems to be omni-directional. I dont think it strays very far towards photo realism and therefore doesn't break the style you are going for.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Can you guys think of any other types of buildings that would go in the complex?
    Chapel, library, and infirmary. Possibly a carillon, though that would probably be part of the chapel.

A cloister might also keep some small quantity of livestock--chickens or hogs come to mind.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

When I was making the Temple for the past Monastery challenge, I did some research into real Monasteries.

You will need:

Grain & Food Storage
    Arch Cleric's House (the lived separate)
    An Alms House or other place for the handing out of material for the poor (may not need, based on remote location)
    Privy, which was usually built at the back, overhanging a stream or river to easily dispose the waste.

Some good details on Catherdral Building here: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_architecture

I did a lot of research at the time of that challenge and I found LOTS of good resources at the time.

My Entry for the Monastery Challenge can be found here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=947

and of particular interest of what exactly is found at a Monastery can be found here:
    Medieval Church Architecture
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Any chance of labeling?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast