Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheers

Guild Novice

Default Cheers

I am currently a graduate student studying geography and environmental science. The majority of my mapmaking has been done in ArcMap, which is a program for assessing spatial statistics/patterns. I also have a history as a photographer and artist. In creating maps for scientific publications, I became interested in combining my education with artistic interests through cartography. I have no specific interests, but I would like to design some creative maps of the real world and literary/gaming worlds that already exist. I am studying hydrology (which is studying rivers/stream networks) so if you have questions regarding feasibility of stream placement, let me know. Though I don't understand the aesthetic preferences that cartographers have developed, I do understand where streams belong based on drainage area and slope thresholds.

I'm currently working my way through Ascensions Atlas Style Map, and running into some difficulties with the layer blend (it isn't showing up). So anyone who has gone through that tutorial, and may be able to help, please let me know so I can explain my issues.

I hope I can bring some knowledge to this group and I look forward to learning from the creations you post!

Cheers!
    emarde

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web.

Well, emarde, it is obvious that you have found tutorials section of the foums, but I suggest that you start up a WIP (Work In Progress) thread in the appropriate sub-forum here, This is where we usually go for any questions we might have, be it tutorial, software, technique or just general questions about our maps that we are working on. Don't be shy, because we are a friendly bunch and quite willing to help without demanding that you do things "our way". We also have quite a few GIS people come here so you might even get some help with those types of questions too.

What with you studying hydrology, you just might be a candidate for the "dreaded" River Police....
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Novice

Thanks so much for the information Korash. I'm glad to hear there are some fellow GIS people here. I look forward to hearing from them. If anyone reading this has personal suggestions to their favorite tutorials, or helpful links/videos that may lie outside of this site, please feel free to share them.

Funny you mention the river police, because as I looked at some maps when I first found the site, I was laughing at some of the river placements. Never even realized it was an area of expertise. Enjoyed the laugh I got from perusing the rivers though, that's for sure. Thanks again for the information and comment.

Welcome to the Guild emarde! You might wish to have a look at Kindari's video walk through of Ascension's tutorial, he goes through it step by step. You may also wish to check out the "Tutorials in PDF Format" sticky in the tutorials section. You can search for tutorials by software in this thread. Just have a quick browse around and you'll encounter some other great walk-throughs there. Best wishes on your project, sounds exciting.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

That's great, a video tutorial of a tutorial. Thanks for sharing, and yeah, I hadn't found the "Tutorials in pdf format" area, so that is proving quite useful! Do you know if there are tutorials that are similar to the style of work that TheRedEpic has done? I noticed that you had posted some of his work, so maybe you know which tutorials may be akin to his mapmaking approach?

That "Tutorials in PDF Format" area can be found right here in the Tutorials forum. Well worth the look through or bookmark even, if you ask me...which you didn't but I will say anyway... If you back up one page from there, the top stickied thread there might be of interest to you (discussing river placement). Please, just remember that the discussion is by no means an academic dissertation, but a discussion as related to the creation of maps depicting places both real and imaginary.
    Last edited by Korash; 08-22-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Professional River Police! I was about to ask you to take a peak at my map, but I'm pretty sure I'm one of the peeps you'd laugh at.
    Welcome to the guild!

Guild Novice

Korash- I would have asked you if I had known better ^^. I will definitely keep that in mind as I read what you guys have to say about river placement. If that level of work is ever needed, I'm sure i could post some publications haha.

Arilayna- I' Just remember everything moves DOWNhill...not UP and I probably won't laugh. Thanks being welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by emarde View Post
    Funny you mention the river police, because as I looked at some maps when I first found the site, I was laughing at some of the river placements.
    Oh gosh, don't mock us too hard. We're still learning!
    Here's a link to my deviantART, because I haven't got better things to write here (yet).

emarde, don't get me wrong...there is definitely a place for professional input, as a browse of some of the threads will show, but also remember that most of us are here for the hobby. I must also add that some of us really do not care about "reality" as long as it at least LOOKS like it could work. And there are others that go into as much detail in the construction of the features as they can reasonably get without actually having real data to work with (with some actually using real earth DEMs). Here at the Guild, neither method is considered better than the other, as long as there is some sort of logic behind what is portrayed.

If you see something that is really "wrong" please speak up, and letting us know WHY it is wrong would be greatly appreciated. That is not to say that the advice will always be followed as there might be a reason for things being the way they are (magic or the workings of Man, Elf, Dwarf, ect.) but the advice would be welcome in any case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast