Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand painted maps

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Wip Hand painted maps

I've recently started back in to making maps by hand. I've also had a very nice Chinese brush set that one of my in-laws gave me some years ago that's been gathering dust. Some caligraphy paper and Chinese ink via Amazon, and I churned out these two maps tonight. They're very rough, as it's been a long time since I've hand-drawn maps, and I've never used brushes before. Also didn't realize the paper was larger than my scanner until it was too late I'll try to complete 6 a week for a few weeks until I've gotten enough practice to start making quality maps using this technique.

Also need a better scanner, but that's not changing any time soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cave.png 
Views:	240 
Size:	730.2 KB 
ID:	57035

Need some way to indicate which spaces are solid rock, not sure this reads well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	island.png 
Views:	796 
Size:	697.1 KB 
ID:	57034

Don't bother trying to read/translate the runes. 100% made up on the spot and don't mean anything.

Guild Novice

I draw terribly, so I draw on the computer, even if it makes the map become less real.

Default Re: Hand painted maps

Pfft. I draw with the talent of a 6 year old. I can say this with confidence since my son can draw about as good as me. Not gonna stop me from making maps though.

You should try making some by hand. After doing it a few times it starts getting easier.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Ink is good to make chinese characters but for making maps, I'm not so sure. It require some technique I suppose. I can't give advices because I don't draw a lot, I only use software to make maps. But I do know it's possible to have a style similar to ink with inkscape or illustrator but without the smudge thing. In the end, it might look too clean.

I'm stubborn. I'll figure this out. I mean if people can do stuff like this - Mountain Landscape Original Large Chinese Brush by CLineCreations - then surely I can figure out how to make simple, decent maps Just gotta figure out these darn brushes first....

Did another map tonight but...ouch. It's bad. Really bad. Not going to throw it away, but not gonna post it either

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Ink is good to make chinese characters but for making maps, I'm not so sure. It require some technique I suppose. I can't give advices because I don't draw a lot, I only use software to make maps. But I do know it's possible to have a style similar to ink with inkscape or illustrator but without the smudge thing. In the end, it might look too clean.
    It's certainly possible to roughen it up but it does take some thought and effort. In Inkscape at least, the Tweak, Fractalize, and Pattern along Path tools are all useful, as are filter effects. Even little things like a custom dash pattern can help give a hand drawn look.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Wow, I did not know it was possible to make something like that with ink. Of course if you persevere you will become very good.

Quote Originally Posted by languard View Post
    I'm stubborn. I'll figure this out. I mean if people can do stuff like this - Mountain Landscape Original Large Chinese Brush by CLineCreations - then surely I can figure out how to make simple, decent maps Just gotta figure out these darn brushes first....

Did another map tonight but...ouch. It's bad. Really bad. Not going to throw it away, but not gonna post it either
    Oh, ink is an excellent medium for map making and painting/drawing in general! I've done a bit with ink, but mostly with art and calligraphy pens. Brushing ink is more difficult but well worth it. I applaud your efforts, languard. If I might offer a suggestion....

It's not so much the amount of practice drawing maps but the attention to the technical aspect... learning the various ways in which stokes can be made and then practicing the movements until you've got it enough (first to be able to get the results you were aiming for and later experimenting with style development). It might help if you pick out a few single strokes from that ink painting you referenced and fill half a page with them. Then fill the rest of the page with a couple types of multi-stroke items (mountains, trees or ?). You'll develop a feel for and confidence using the brushes more quickly that way, and confidence is a large part of ink painting.

There are also a ton of useful videos on YouTube if you like to learn by watching... I've watched a bunch of Henry Li's videos: Henry Li - YouTube

Oh, and before I forget... Great maps! Double points ... Monty Python and the Holy Grail: black beast of Arrrggghhh - YouTube ... for the Monty Python reference!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Apprentice

I like it!
    I suggest that you use a bit more water, the strokes seem very dry.
    Cashio is absolutly right about the technical aspect, practice the single stroke. Remember that you paint/draw with a brush, so don't draw like with a pencil. Use the features of a brushstroke, which are for example the varity of the thickness of the stroke, the amount of ink, the structure of the stroke, to show the texture of stone, hills, grass etc...
    You also might want to use different shadings of grey (50? ).

I look forward to the next bunch of maps from you!

Learned a lot just from watching the preview's on some of Henry's videos. Shows how much I need to learn I have started practicing with just strokes, and with adding more water. I agree that the brush was very dry on the first ones, I've got more shades on my third map, though the rest of the experimentation didn't go good. Hopefully tonight will go better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast