Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CWBP - What Happened?!

Post CWBP - What Happened?!

Ladies and Gentlemen! Humans, dwarves, and elves! (And all you other assorted mapping enthusiasts.)

What happened to the fervor for the World Building Project? Actually, I can tell you: The May Challenge. Nothing wrong with that EXCEPT now that the challenge is done, it's time to get back to world building.

There hasn't been an addition to the wiki since the 22nd (Thanks for that, Baziron).

Remember: Your skill level as a cartographer does not matter. Pick a location and go!!

Blog Entries

I think that May Challenge got everyone a bit excited / distracted y'know. Well I got a church out of it ! SeerBlue has done some great GMaps and a bit of a write up for some stuff in my area which I need to add as soon as I can get to it.

yeah, I've kind of noticed that as well, not many posts lately. (ok I haven't made any either... )
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

I'm trying! It's been a bit of a struggle to get computer time lately. Plus, I'm having a hard time getting north-facing cliffs on a standard orientation map (North is up) to look good. I might have to rethink my layout... or perhaps the POV. Hmm...
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen! Humans, dwarves, and elves! (And all you other assorted mapping enthusiasts.)

What happened to the fervor for the World Building Project? Actually, I can tell you: The May Challenge. Nothing wrong with that EXCEPT now that the challenge is done, it's time to get back to world building.

There hasn't been an addition to the wiki since the 22nd (Thanks for that, Baziron).

Remember: Your skill level as a cartographer does not matter. Pick a location and go!!
    I would not mind trying my hand at this CWBP, but I don't know how to get started. You say "pick a location and go" but what are the locations?

I have read through alot of this site and the wiki but can't find what to do next.

Oh and I have to say I love, absolutely love your sig midgard!

I guess location is any town,village,city, or perhaps feature, that is named on the map.. Some may have an entry on the Wiki to give you a bit of back story, or the lands creator may have some info tucked away. So you can look at the maps here, or at Ins Carto and find something that catches your eye and then contact the Lands Cartographer and let them know.

And then just jump right in. For Snapgallows, which I am mapping, and which lies in Redrobes Thrubmorton Fen, I read through his wiki entries to get the flavor of the over all country and then looked around the area it lies in to get a feel for the terrain/ border areas/ environment. From that you can pickout or surmise what type of buildings (stone or log), if fields would be for grazing or plowing and so on..

SeerBlue

Thanks Seer. I couldn't have put it better. Exactly what he said Bohunk. Have a look at the region maps and choose a settlement mapped on one of them. Seerblue's site shows you who the area mapper is so just drop them a line. Would you prefer city scale or individual small areas of battlemap or VTT size?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Actually I would prefer a region, I am not that good at city mapping but I suppose I can give it a try. Got a city for me to map?

Actually Bohunk, if you would prefer a regional area to map we still have two areas unclaimed out of 30 in the first section that we are mapping. Take a look at this post http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...&postcount=213, and you will see a map with the two remaining. You are welcome to take one or both of those areas if you want to rather than doing a more local map.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast