Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wacom announces full tablet models

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The article also says that the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has a pressure sensitive digitizer and it sells for less than $400. It's an Android device, though, which may limit its application for certain folks. I'm sure there's a whole host of Android units out there, but I admit that I didn't look too hard. My eyesight is too old to work with much less than a 10" screen, so I tend not to consider the smaller devices.
    I bought one of those for my better half. She hates typing on virtual keyboards so the stylus works brilliantly for here. I've played with the built in drawing applications and the pressure sensitivity works very well.

I have seen demos using purchased apps - the best/most popular seems to be Sketchbook Pro:

-Rob A>

Looks really interesting, but the price is rather high. The android version wouldn't be too interesting due to no full photoshop so it has to be one of the windows versions. If I had the money I definitely would buy one. Unfortunately that won't happen, but I'm still pleased with my cintiq 13hd.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Regarding Windows 8:

I agree with jMango, the interface works pretty well on my wife's Samsung tablet but it's a pain in the tush on my Laptop. I installed the little app that makes it act like windows 7 but it just drives me batty when my mouse comes near the edges and those stupid pop-out menu deals slide out. I NEVER FREAKING WANT THAT!!!

I think the real breakdown comes because my screen is not touch. So, bottom line, if you are using it on a touch device I don't think it'll bug you that much.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

The Android version does have the advantage that you can plug it into another computer, and it will act like a regular Cintiq. But yes, the lack of production software would limit its use for me, too.

Jax: I hate that "feature" too! It's among the first things I turn off when I sit down at a new workstation. Pretty much all of the "smart" controls go away, and I turn off the resource hogging themes. By the time I'm ready to work, a Windows 7 or Vista box looks an awful lot like Windows 2k. I turn off Spaces and Expose on a Mac, too. My wife insists that they're a huge productivity booster, but I just don't see it. If I send my pointer to the corner its because I want it out of the way, not because I want some kind of box popping up and covering my work! Or maybe because it's been naughty and needs a "time out."
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Calcomp used to make tablets for all of the different systems. Unfortunately, Watcom sued them out of the standard tablet market. Calcomp (if I remember correctly) had the same guy or company make their drivers that Watcom used and Watcom found out about it. Calcomp still makes tablets but they are now grossly expensive and mainly for scientifc usage. I bought one of the 18"x18" tablets Calcomp made for the Mac back when system 7.5 was around. It was truly fantastic to use. 18"x18" allowed me to do hand drawings and then to move them to the Mac. Unfortunately there aren't any drivers for the Calcomp tablet now and truth to tell - my cats decided the really thin ADB cord something nice to chew on. So now I have a tablet with a little itty-bitty bit of cord coming off of it. :-(

I also bought a Tooya. It is an ok tablet but has problems which the company have never corrected. I've been told that a 6" tablet is about as large as you really need and the Watcom tablets which are this size are not horribly expensive. So I've been thinking of getting one to try it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12