Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wacom announces full tablet models

Default Wacom announces full tablet models

At long last, Wacom has figured out that artists would like to take their drawing tablets on the road.
    Two models, one running Windows 8 and one running Android have been announced. Looks like they'll be running $1500 - $2500 depending on OS, RAM and SSD capacity.

Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid - Tablets - CNET Reviews
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ugh. Why does it have to run Windows h8?

That is really cool but the price is pretty high for an amateur like me. Are there any models similar to this (with a screen) that are cheeper?

The useful part of this system is the Wacom digitizer with its pressure and tilt sensitivity. The rest looks to be a pretty generic tablet (3rd Gen Core i5? ick). The regular Cintiq (monitor with embedded digitizer) is also pretty pricey and needs a host computer to run. The basic Wacom tablets aren't too bad, but there's no on-tablet display feedback.

I've read that Microsoft's Surface Pro uses generally the same sort of digitizer, but it's pretty pricey, too. I'm not sure that there is an affordable unit out there right now with pressure-sensitive input. Then again, MS just wrote down $900M on the first-gen Surface RT and Surface Pro units, so there might be places with them cheaper than might be expected.

The article also says that the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has a pressure sensitive digitizer and it sells for less than $400. It's an Android device, though, which may limit its application for certain folks. I'm sure there's a whole host of Android units out there, but I admit that I didn't look too hard. My eyesight is too old to work with much less than a 10" screen, so I tend not to consider the smaller devices.
    Last edited by waldronate; 08-21-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Unfortunately, Wacom's the only name in the game right now in terms of performance and reliability, and that lets them keep their prices high. If some legitimate competition ever enters the arena, I expect prices will drop. Plus, this is the very first product of this kind from Wacom, so those prices reflect the early adopters' tax. I doubt they'll be in the hobbyist's price bracket any time soon, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them go down to $1000 or less on the low end within three years or so. Still steep, but within the grasp of a working artist. And I know a lot of us in SoCal and the UK have long commutes on public transportation that could allow a device like this to pay for itself in short order.

As for the Windows issue, Microsoft isn't going to license a new device with 7 at this point, Apple won't license their OS at all, and Linux doesn't appeal to a large enough market share. So it's 8 or nothing for now. I'm sure the jailbreakers will immediately break it open and install TinyXP.

The price is pretty high and I'm not the biggest fan of windows 8 (I prefer 7) although at least windows 8 is on something more appropriate here (a mobile device =P).

But if I had the money I would so buy it, I really would.

I would like something like this. For instance, at the moment I'm laying flat on my back because I hurt myself and it's taking FOREVER to heal. I wish I could sit up at my desk and do some mapping right now but it's out of the question unless I want to spend the evening with back spasms. By the way, tried that, don't like it.

So instead I lay here depressed and fiddle around with my laptop because it's about all I can do right now. Moral of the story, if you are ever doing something and your back starts to lock up...don't just push to play through. Well, maybe if you are a young person it will work. Evidently at my age it's not a good idea
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

No, even if you're young it's not a good idea. I was flattened by a back spasm in my early 20's. Worst pain I've ever experienced. I still get paranoid about back pain after that experience.

I haven't tried Windows 8 yet. What are the common complaints about it at the moment? About the only thing I know about it is that it will cause office workers to spontaneously breakdance.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    What are the common complaints about it at the moment? About the only thing I know about it is that it will cause office workers to spontaneously breakdance.
    I only have complaints against Windows 8 in the desktop environment. The Meto interface is horribad for a desktop (thought it is easily gotten rid of) and the security lock down makes some tasks a major pain. Oh and it really likes messing with drawing tablets because even in desktop mode it has the assumption that touches are coming from a screen. Tablet wise it's not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Dat price tag though....ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    What are the common complaints about it at the moment?
    Probably the fact that the interface is a bit of a Harvey Dent/Two-Face. The two interfaces are not smoothly integrated into each other and it's very awkward trying to switch from desktop programs to metro apps and vice versa. I wouldn't mind having a metro tablet that runs purely metro, but when that interface starts invading into the familiar old desktop, things get very annoying very quickly.
    Here's a link to my deviantART, because I haven't got better things to write here (yet).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast