Thread: Need help and tips please

Help Need help and tips please

Hey guys im Sigil and I'm looking for helps and tips to build maps but not in the way everyone else here does i do it in world painter for mine craft ik yall probably frown on this seeing as yall are real map creators and use indepth programs but if anyone can help me out id appreciate it i need tips on creating realistic mountain ranges and such along with any good height maps i can use as a type of brush if anyone knows how to use world painter any tips on that would be appreciate ed as well thank you - sigil

We frown on nothing except discourtesy! Welcome to the Guild!

I don't know anything about World Painter, but based on your request, I assume it is based on heightmaps? There are a number of possible approaches. Some people like to stitch together real world height data, since it's guaranteed to be "realistic." A good place to start looking for that his here: The National Map: Viewer and Download Platform

Others prefer to use entirely synthetic heightmaps. There's a program called Wilbur that's pretty good for that kind of approach (don't worry; it's free!) Wilbur's author is a contributor here under the handle Waldronate, and he's very helpful. The program and some tutorials in its use are available here: Current Wilbur Version
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name