Thread: Photoshop CC for $10 / month

Default Photoshop CC for $10 / month

Introducing the Photoshop Photography Program | Creative Layer

For people who already own Photoshop CS3 or higher, Adobe is offering a limited-time upgrade path to the Creative Cloud edition for $9.99/month. It's aimed at photographers, so it also includes Lightroom and a Behance membership.

They're claiming that this will be the permanent subscription price, but I haven't looked into it to verify that.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Ok so PS CC is the newest version and it have all functionalities ? Just asking because I am not always up to date.

Is it something that we pay per month, that you never own the software and you always need to be connected ,else it won't work and you won't have acces to your content ?

Yes from what I understand it is basically a subscription fee and you get full access to the products (plus the cloud storage).

I think $9.99/m is pretty good - certainly affordable anyway. I wish their plans were more customisable though. I only need indesign and photoshop, and I don't really need the cloud stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I don't really need the cloud stuff.
    Heresy! The economic reality of large companies that produce "good enough" software suggests strongly that you do indeed NEED the cloud stuff to ensure proper vendor lockin and flow of licensing fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Ok so PS CC is the newest version and it have all functionalities ? Just asking because I am not always up to date.

Is it something that we pay per month, that you never own the software and you always need to be connected ,else it won't work and you won't have acces to your content ?
    Part of that's correct. Adobe's moved to a subscription-only model. They say they will no longer be releasing numbered updates, and Creative Cloud (CC) subscribers will always have access to the most recent version. After the existing CS6 stock is sold, they will no longer offer perpetual licensing. I am not sure how the new business model affects their Elements line.

You don't need constant Internet connection. The software will dial home once every 30 days to verify a current license, or in the event that you have a situation where you cannot connect (some secure production networks are set up this way), there is another licensing setup, but I'm not sure how it works.

Canceling the subscription means you lose access to anything you've stored in the cloud service itself, but there is no compulsion to store your PSDs in the cloud at all. If the subscription lapses, all of your content remains intact, but you may not be able to read it without renewing the subscription to the software that created it. The PSD document, though, is merely a variant of TIFF, and many programs can at least read it, if not edit it.

The normal price for a new user is $20/month and does not include Lightroom. The entire Creative Cloud (PS, Illustrator, After Effects, Dreamweaver, Premiere, InDesign, and a few other products) is $50/month. I believe all of those prices require a 1-year contract. The prices are, I think, 50% higher without the contract.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 09-07-2013 at 04:20 PM.

I guess that even if you pay per month, if it give you acces to a new version without any other fees, it might not be so bad. It's probably to help counter piracy wich usually work for a couple of weeks.

So, for someone that don't always need the latest version (most companies don't need it) they will end up paying more this way in the long run?

If you subscribe at the normal rate (not this discounted rate), the cost is about the same as purchasing every upgrade was before. What a lot of people used to do, though, was to only upgrade every 2 or 3 versions because usually the number of new features in a given update was not enough to justify the cost. So this way is more expensive for those people.

Where the new model really shines is for those who need a particular product only for a couple of months at a time. I had a freelance project last year for which I needed Premiere and After Effects CS6, but I couldn't justify an upgrade for that one project. Paying $90 for two months of access was very easy, and I could easily bill that amount to the client. Likewise, I was working for a small start-up that did not want to pay for full licenses, so we had five AE subscriptions. Over the course of a year, we paid about what it would have cost to buy them outright, but it helped the company with cash flow, and when production slowed down, we could cut the number of licenses we were paying for.