Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mapping attempt need critique

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I like that the trees stand out more from the ground in the second one. And the mountain looks great. Be careful where your rivers intersect though. The one on the right has that weird jag where you over-drew.

I know what you mean. But when you hit the sweet spot where everything works together, it's magical!

The detail level is looking pretty close to correct. The trees still look like plastic to me. Check this out:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	url.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	296.1 KB 
ID:	57129

Notice that although the lit parts are brighter than the shadowed parts, they're all still green. You'll definitely see a white reflection if you are looking at an individual leaf, but you don't see that same effect when you look at the entire tree. Much more the less so when you see an entire forest.

Are you using the same light direction for the mountain as you are for everything else? It looks to me as though the mountain is lit from the right and everything else from the upper left. It's hard to tell exactly due to the complexity of the mountain's texture.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks for the river tip, m8 will have to redo the outline.

Thanks for the tips I tried from scratch and I think I might be onto something. Keep in mind it's very much WIP but for general concepts like mountain look, trees, riverbed.

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	57173

Very nice.

Wow that looks very good. Are you using any tutorials for those mountains etc? I really love the effect and would like to learn it =p

Then only part that doesn't particularly appeal to the eye is the rivers. For being pinched between high peaks in such rugged terrain, my mind has trouble accepting how straight and smooth they are. It seems like they would or should have a ton of tiny angles in them. Even if they travel in one direction, the river bed they carved bout would likely be between a bunch of jagged hard rock. Also should have some white water rapids. Right now they look like they're flowing between two soft soil hills.

Just offering my two cents. The map does look awesome though. If you could rough up the rivers even a little it would look perfect. The tiny river in the bottom left looks great. It looks natural and fitting for the terrain. But the two big lengths look almost man made.
    Last edited by Veluux; 08-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.

ok what about this one? Natural? Unnatural?

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	57218

It's a combo (variation) an Ascension style and trying out different emboss techniques. Once I figure out a perfect mix I can give you all the technicalities.

Sorry one more:

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	843.6 KB 
ID:	57220

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast