Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a challenge for you

Hi Corey,

I've made a start. Any chance you could tell me more about the types of terrain - snowy? Forests? plains? Desert? Where are they all? Some are easy enough to place by the name of the location but it would be good if you could just block the terrain types in your sketch so I get it about right from the start.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Okay here you go my friend, color coded for your pleasure!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larp temperature.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	544.0 KB 
ID:	57811
    Just as a quick note, I may explain my logic about the temperature of the map as I have placed it.
    I used Teal to represent the Polar temperatures, similar to those you would find in the ice caps or Antarctica. Life here is intensely difficult as the freezing temperatures make it nearly impossible to hold livestock or farm for food, leaving fish as the only food source. Since food sources are limited, populations do not rise to high density, and there are few successful settlements in this area. I chose the area I did because of it's far location from the approximate equator. For this reason, it is easy to assume that it would be so cold.
    I used Blue/Purple to represent the Tundra regions. Life is much easier here (as compared to the Arctic) where people can hunt moose and snow hares for food and farm limited crops. Civilization is much more successful here, and as a result is more dense in it's populations. I chose this area as it is the buffer zone between the warmer climates and the arctic, and it is located closer to the equator. You'll notice that the tundra stops at the mountains, this is because of the tropical eastward winds that blow warm air north from the Barklay and Seriduil areas getting trapped by the mountains, resulting in a very thin lush area on the sides of the mountains, and a very dry area everywhere else trapped in the Farreach and the Dryloth Desert. You'll notice That I did not trace a tropical line along the mountainsides, this was done out of haste, and not ignorance. When the hot air goes north from the Equator, it gets elevated to cooler air when it is trapped by the mountains resulting in precipitation. This causes the mountains to be very lush, while the base of the mountain erodes away into a river, draining to the south into the ocean. This deprives Farreach of precious water, resulting in it's desert.
    I used yellow to represent the arid desert of Farreach and Dryloth, for the very reason as stated above. Live is hard here, but Civilization still thrives bordering the mountains. Settlements live nomadically, moving from one oasis to another.
    Red represents a generally hotter weather, with summer highs between 80 and 110, with winter lows barely reaching 30. These areas are generally "Rohan-like" and are going to be populated by thick areas of trees and huge fields with barely any trees, as rain will tend to accumulate in only specific areas depending on elevation and cold/warm fronts.
    Green represents a temperate climate, with it generally leaning more towards tropical the closer you reach the equator. As a general rule, Southmaw is always temperate, while Barklay and Seridual will almost be entirely Tropical. These climates will be extremely livable, and very comfortable for humans, resulting in high populations. I may also note that you may see a wall on the east half of Southmaw that runs north and south, this wall was put up by the dwarves who live on the east side of that wall. Those dwarves are still very powerful, though not very active these days, preferring their gems to war.

Special Note:
    Fort Iron-cog and Fort Ferusil are both currently Dwarven strongholds, both acting as capital cities. Ferusil was formerly elven, but was conquered by the dwarves and made their own. The Elves thereafter fled to Dryloth.

I hope this helps, and ask any questions you need- I'll be glad to answer!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larp temperature.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	544.0 KB 
ID:	57811

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

As far as rivers and forests go- Its inconsequential. Unless there is one already marked, you can place forests, rivers, canyons, archipelagos, atolls, bays, buttes, capes, caves, channels, cliffs, cols, coves, deltas, estuaries, fjords, geysers, glaciers, hills, islands, Isthmus's, Lakes, marshes, mesas, mountains, oceans, plains, straits, swamps, valleys, volcano's, waterfalls, wetlands, - hell even entire continents if you want- as long as you don't change what's already there too much and stay within the realm of logic. As far as anything that's unmarked on the map, just be creative and have fun with it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12