Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 20][Town 01] Tirylus

I have to say. while I love the farmland texture overall, I don't think it fits well at this scale. IMO, the buildings are way to large to match the implied camera height for the farmland areas.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I have to say. while I love the farmland texture overall, I don't think it fits well at this scale. IMO, the buildings are way to large to match the implied camera height for the farmland areas.

Joe
    I have to say I agree. The farmland seems....off.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Here's an update. I'm really running out of time but life is a little hectic at the moment. Will need to push hard for the end of the month. Comments welcome.

Torq

###Latest WIP###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	juncitybase.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	607.6 KB 
ID:	4972  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Hi Torq!

I really, really like this map. In particular - the individual trees which fit really well with scale on which you're working; the colour of the river (green rather than the usual blue) and river banks, which have a great shape to them and again beautifully in keeping with the scale.

The only thing that doesn't quite work for me at the moment (although you're probably in the process of dealing with it) is the uniformity of the paving. The texture itself is beautiful, but I think there's too much of it. It looks to me as if the entire area below the city was paved first and then the city built on top. Is there any way in which you could break up the paving, maybe with more green areas, suggestions of kerbs on roads...unpaved / muddy areas...anything to disrupt the uniformity?

Another thing to try (if you haven't already) which I discovered sort of by accident on the Arboria map is with these semi-isometric maps, to make the drop shadows of the walls very intense (little or no tranparency) and a darker colour of the wall (in this case gray). It gives a suggestion of the vertical height of the wall without the 'floating' drop shadow effect, i.e. the drop shadow looks like part of the wall itself.

cheers

Ravs

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    The only thing that doesn't quite work for me at the moment (although you're probably in the process of dealing with it) is the uniformity of the paving. The texture itself is beautiful, but I think there's too much of it. It looks to me as if the entire area below the city was paved first and then the city built on top. Is there any way in which you could break up the paving, maybe with more green areas, suggestions of kerbs on roads...unpaved / muddy areas...anything to disrupt the uniformity?

Ravs
    I'd add to this that it looks like the bottom of the river is paved with the same texture, which looks odd to me. Unless this is an aqueduct, then I guess that might be expected? But otherwise it looks too regular to be random river rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I'd add to this that it looks like the bottom of the river is paved with the same texture, which looks odd to me. Unless this is an aqueduct, then I guess that might be expected? But otherwise it looks too regular to be random river rock.
    Yes, the river is canalised (if thats a word) and paved with the same stone.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Hmmm, not sure I buy that. If they were going to go to all the effort of paving the river they would surely make it a regular width - whereas this river looks to be much more organic in shape. Also, there's currently a brick wall at the end of the river at all three ends where it leaves the map. Not sure that's intentional

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I actually rather like that look, other than the blocked section on each end which does not look quite right for some reason(though it's not that bad).

Torq, I love the trees you added between the two versions. It really helps to make the whole thing pop.

On the down side, you have shadows for all your trees and buildings, but you bridges are flat on the water. Should be a quick fix though.

Also, even though the farmland background looks better blown up in size, I really don't think it goes with this map. The reason why at that they are all blurry while your city building lines are super sharp and clear. To me it just tends to stick out rather than blend into the background as I would expect. Again, based on scale, the fields should be fairly well visible at this altitude, especially when contrasted with the buildings and trees directly over top of some of them.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Yes, the river is canalised (if thats a word) and paved with the same stone.

Torq
    Well... I guess consider my comment retracted then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast