Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 20][Town 01] Tirylus

Having spent some time away from this map I have now done some more work on it, as I never finished it in time for the June challenge. After finishing my shot at this month's challenge I have come back to Tirylus. I have tried to break some of the uniformity of the cobblestones and the surrounding countryside. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tirylus.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	583.4 KB 
ID:	6480  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Torq I think it looks great so far.

Not sure how much "farm land" you wanted around the actual town, but maybe add some more of what you already have in the south to the other areas, even if its just hinted at near the edges.

Also, I don't think they would have houses/etc. and trees so close to the gates themselves. I would think they would have those areas cleared for defense purposes.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

"Crisp and cute? Crisp and cute?" :0 Have you seen my avatar? I'll give you crisp and cute . Thats it I'm never doing another city map.

Torq

Guild Journeyer

Cool. very cool. great progress on this.

A couple of things if you want 'em. The resolution of the field texture is lower than that of the rest of the work. Sharpen it up, or put the trees like the ones you've scattered over the ones from the textures.

I would expect more of a defined road into the the main gate. it looks odd the cobbles just stop at the gate and then there's a mud road. Maybe have some road texture that isn't in such a high contrast to the cobbles? Also if the time line is the equivalent of medieval times, then Romans where before making decent roads.

I was watching a program on Castles last night, your general castle with stone masons takes about 10 years. With your map, it would be nice to see more evidence of this time passed for such a sizeable town. So more smaller communities outside the walls on the north side along with some more fields perhaps?

Lastly, some of the buildings look like they are 'crushed' along the north wall, it doesn't look like they are placed naturally nor aligned to the wall itself.

Just some observations.

That looks amazing Torq, it looks like a real bustling city that grew there. Although not entirely what I originally thought, it still looks great. Want to come up with some info about the place? Maybe even add it to the wiki I haven't done any real thinking about this place so you'll have free reign.

Oh yeah, so is this pronounced "done"?
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Thanks Airith. Sorry if I hijacked your city somewhat. I also havn't done much thinking about context, but I dont think its quite finished. I would still like to make some changes but just havn't had the time.

Torq

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's looking great. Nice improvements.

I'd like to get Tirylus added to the wiki. Do you have any more updates or any details on the city yet?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast