Thread: Master Wordsmith Reporting for Duty!

Info Master Wordsmith Reporting for Duty!

Hello and thank you for taking the time to visit my introduction!

I stumbled across this forum while searching for map-making related information, tools, software, etc. And it doesn't hurt to find some good old fashioned inspiration while I'm here. So many talented artists - which I can personally appreciate! I am not an expert Photoshop user by any means, but I have had a lot of practice and experience with it. Mostly making cards for table top games, banners, and digitally finishing my own 2D Ink Sketches.

Despite my artistic endeavors - my primary occupation is as a professional author (if such a thing even exists!) >.> It's a tough business and I'm looking for ways to push my work over the top. My latest massive project is a giant six-book series that will cover a transitioning world from a Fantasy Setting to a Sci-Fi setting. Obviously such a drastic change in setting is going to need a good map or two to help readers fully grasp the world and the full scope of the story.

That's what brought me here. I've never attempted to make a map before, other than on paper - most of which were crude and I wouldn't dare posting on here after seeing some of the amazing maps people have posted. So I guess I'm really in the market for tips, tools, brush sets, and advice in general - if not a professional cartographer that's up to do some high-end commissions. I'm currently not in the stage of my writing career that I'm getting advances, so all of my writing is done on my own dime until I can find publishers willing to take it. Mostly short E-stories. My newest project, however, will be my first attempt at a full blown set of novels.

Wish me luck!

I'm a skilled artist, and have an eye for craftsmanship - but my strengths obviously lay in turning thoughts into finely crafted prose. So more than likely any contributions on my end will be writing related - but hey, maps have words on them too! Besides, what is a beautiful world without a good introduction or summary anyhow? We need characters to fill all those worlds.

Feel free to ask any questions you'd like. I've been on some pretty extreme writing sites, so nothing will scare me off that is legal to talk/post about here! I'm even up for short writing prompts for anyone who is curious (particularly any young and aspiring cartographers looking to partner up to create a stunning world together!)

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to read my not-so-short introduction. I hope it was at least mildly entertaining - as far as introductions go. I look forward to my future stay here!

Good day and God bless,
    - Veluux
    Last edited by Veluux; 08-22-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Hello from one new member to another.

Short stories to a six novel series is no joke, let alone a transition from fantasy to sci-fi! Best of luck.

Greetings! There's plenty of material to inspire within these posts. Welcome to the guild!

Thank you for the warm welcomes. This place is quite inspiring. I've already begun work on my first map (posted in region/world mapping).