Thread: 'ello there.

Post 'ello there.

Hello there, I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself a bit. I'm Drazi and I have an interest in map design. I'm about to move to the middle of nowhere and need a hobby so I've decided to write a fantasy book. I'm a huge fantasy fan and am always referring to the book map when I'm reading. So I need to create a world in which to write. Some additional information: I also enjoy playing video games, especially MMOs and traditional RPGs. I currently play Guild Wars (though I haven't been on much lately) and have all the Cartography titles in that game. I used to play D&D back in High School, but I haven't been able to find a group to game with where I live and there is almost certainly no hope of finding a game where I'm going to be moving (The middle of nowhere).

Well, that's more than enough about me. Hello to you all.

-Drazi

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hello and welcome to ya. It should go without saying, but I will anyways 'cuz I'm like that, that you've come to the right place. First, start in the featured maps and finished maps sections then move on to regional and town maps and once you find something that grabs your eye you will most likely find a tutorial in the tutorial section. Give one of those a try or just break out the pencil and paper to get ya started. Have a great stay and we all look forward to your contributions (post early post often).

Blog Entries

Hi Drazi,

Sounds like a fun and long term challenging project there. I have just updated the index of threads by keyword so I can give you that link...
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/In...word_Index.htm

There is also a section on VTT's which are virtual table tops. Programs that allow you to play D&D or other RPGs over the net like an MMORPG. Theres a section about maps made for them you might like to read through if you feel the desire to play again out of the wilderness.

Hello and welcome aboard! Good luck on writing that book.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Indeed, welcome to the Guild! As for the unable to find a gaming group, as Redrobes mentioned you should definitely look into Virtual Table Tops. There are quite a few out there and they offer various strengths and weaknesses. Some cost money and some are free. You can search this board for tags and words. The best tag to search for would be VTT and for words you can search for the names of the various VTTs that people here use and have posted about such as, in alphabetical order, Battlegrounds, Fantasy Grounds, MapTool, OpenRPG, and ViewingDale.

As for the mapping part, you are definitely in the right place and feel free to ask lots of questions and get advice on your maps. That is what we are here for.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.