Thread: Greetings

Guild Applicant

Post Greetings

Hi folks,

I was researching mapping software and ended up here..via a friendly reference on another forum.

For a little while I've been toying with the idea of making a wargame and that got me interested in cartographic software for map creation. I'm hoping to act like a monkey in the Guild and learn through observation, rather than just through experience.

For now I am looking out for info on what software might be best for my needs. The sort of map I want to build is pretty simply compared to some I've seen here! Something like a World in Flames 'style' map, like at http://www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp/images/Hex_2_sample.jpg but with more detail.

Look forward to poking around the forums. Pls feel free to post any thoughts

Ben

Welcome aboard. I think you may find GIMP sufficient to your needs.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by BenZ View Post
    Hi folks,

I was researching mapping software and ended up here..via a friendly reference on another forum.

For a little while I've been toying with the idea of making a wargame and that got me interested in cartographic software for map creation. I'm hoping to act like a monkey in the Guild and learn through observation, rather than just through experience.

For now I am looking out for info on what software might be best for my needs. The sort of map I want to build is pretty simply compared to some I've seen here! Something like a World in Flames 'style' map, like at http://www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp/images/Hex_2_sample.jpg but with more detail.

Look forward to poking around the forums. Pls feel free to post any thoughts

Ben
    Welcome to the guild Ben! Tips for a beginner:

1) Go get GIMP, its free
    2) go get Inkscape, it's free
    3) go to the tutorial section and find RobA's Regional map tutorial. Stylistically, it is close to the map you referenced. You may also want to check a few "Playing with..." threads as several people have tried some different techniques base of the inspiration of RobA's tutorial that you might like the effect of.
    4) get a tablet if you can afford it. It makes many things much easier once you get comfortable with it.

Start your map and post up a new thread with your work in progress. If you have any problems with the tutorial, just ask and we will try to help you out.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hi BenZ-

Joe's tips are great. I'd even go so far as, given good textures (and there are a lot on the web for free) a map like this could be completely make in Inkscape quite easily, especially with the new filter effects (bevels and such).

-Rob A>

Welcome to the Guild BenZ! It sounds like the others have already offered the good advice so I'll just bid you welcome and hope that you find the forums a joy to hang out as well as helpful.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Applicant

Post Tks

Thanks for all the posts and tips folks. I'm off to action a couple of them.

Cheers
    BenZ