Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a Fantasy Setting?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Falconius: I think you're thinking of Cavern of Black Ice by J.V. Jones. Second book IS kind of bad, but it picks up again in the third. If only she'd write faster... I think there's still at least one or two books left to go in the series.

Diamond, yeah that's the one. I was really into that first book. I should have a look at the third one if I can find it. Kudos for figuring that out from that scant description

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It was the 'orphan in the snow' bit that did it.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Barbarians from the frozen north was done in a game I played a while back.. It was a most interesting concept and It worked. They were barbarians because they had a lot to endure between the cold and finding food. They were rustic because that was all they could do at the time. They foraged to warmer areas for wood and food. It was well written and well done.
    The DM for that particular game was all about the story about why they were the barbarians in his world. It was great Roleplay!

Stormie

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I say this every time this kind of discussion comes up but I love the Pern kind of setting, it has all the "right" elements. Dragons (and telepathic talking dragons at that) A monstrous voracious villain (even if it is unintelligent and a natural occurrence) and all the political intrigue and back stabbing you could ever ask for. Oh and DRAGONS !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I like the underused climate/environment idea. I think taiga mixed with a tundra or polar climate could be interesting. Perhaps the war could be tied to the overall all lack of resources and harshness of the environment.

Instead of just "taiga" how about "Siberioid" or Central Asian? So there's bands: tundra, taiga, steppe. Have a people like the Saami in the tundra along with Yakut-equivalents, etc. Cossacks in the taiga. Mongols and Turkic horsemen on the steppe. Also a breadbasket like the Ukraine on the steppe somewhere, as a target for the aforementioned Mongols, Turks, etc.? GURPS Russia might be handy- great worldbook.

Or, Icelandoid? (That's pretty much just Vikings, though...)

Or Thule-oid? There's a really neat timeline at alternatehistory.com about an ascendant Thule: The Lands of Ice and Mice, though it starts in 1717AD. Still, nice ideas on the culture.
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-06-2013 at 01:07 PM.

The most remarkable setting is Ring World.. a similar setting is in Avatar with floating mountains.. more down to earth would be an ocean planet with floating islands similar to the Life of Pi but with soil deposited on layers of dead vegitation. Perhaps asteroids with interior worlds of habitation.

I was wrong. The book I'm remembering to poorly was not a construction but a naturally occurring environment in space where there was an atmosphere and many forms of places.. some of rock some of other material. In this non-world which completely encircles the sun like a ring. Take the asteroid belt and situate it in a habitable distance from the sun, provide an atmosphere and water. The water would sometimes be held by the weak gravity of a large asteroid but at other times be a free floating blob the size of the asteroids themselves with their own separate ecosystem. There would be huge plants freely floating with their own eco system. Life would be abundant with a number of intelligent species.

I've gone overboard, straying from the world dimly remembered. Someone please help me out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast