Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World Map as basis for local maps

To make the forest, you could use the dupplication tool once you have a tree with color and either select "behind" in the option to paint it "behind" or use it normally when you want it to be in front of it. But it need to be opaque to do that.

In my opinion, the change of color is great if you have a decidious forest in autumn, else not so much. Here, I think the effect is too strong.

Great mountains by the way.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

But it need to be opaque to do that.
    That would be the problem. I don't want my trees to be opaque AND use a brush, so the greyscale technique PS uses will always make them transparent that way. Or did I misunderstand you?

In my opinion, the change of color is great if you have a decidious forest in autumn, else not so much. Here, I think the effect is too strong.
    You're right. It looks pretty strong. I will lessen the color dynamics and see how it turns out. I didn't think about the autumn colors, that's a great idea!

Great mountains by the way.
    Thanks! I spoke to a friend though and she said, although she thought I did a great job, I shouldn't have used the "smudgy-smudgy". She showed me different pictures with and without smudge and I have to agree with her. It looks better with lots of penstrokes and multiple layers.

So I came up with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stylefinder-Stroke.gif 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	57480

I messed up the northern part, but apart from that I'm much more satisfied with the outcome. I used a soft brush on two layers to work out the shadows but I'm not sure if it's too much. This is the same image without the brush (and the trees).

Name:	Stylefinder-Stroke-without.gif 
Views:	129 
Size:	364.3 KB 
ID:	57481

Thanks for your opinions and input, by the way!

While the upper / darker version looks rather fine, I'd say these mountains will be to heavy on a whole map. (Though of course that will depend on the rest of the map. )

If you want to continue in this style, I would advise to do the forests in a similar line-art style, for consistency's sake.

Sometimes, it just takes one good day

I think I came up with something that could progress into a style. It's not nearly perfect yet, but I will start a "real" WIP thread now, and start working on a local map from my world. So there probably won't be any updates to this thread anymore.

This is what I have right now:

Name:	Stylefinder-final.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	57616

Right, thanks for your input!

Did anyone expect this thread being dusted off again?

Well, I worked on my world map again to get a better idea not only where all my other WIP maps are, but also to help me write. And I thought before I give birth to yet another WIP thread, I just post it in here, though the title isn't up to date anymore.

Anyway, this is a completely redone version of my world:

Name:	Welt.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	59626

The continents on the bottom are still quite rough, I'll give those coastlines a make over soon.

Generally the plan is to turn this into a detailed political map, with topography mostly left out.

Have a nice day everyone!

I like the fiddly-bits in the top right corner.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looking good, it just suffers a little from the "must fill the corners with land"-syndrome… I love the two continents on the right, but maybe the one on the left could be tweaked into a less rectangular shape? Would decrease the corner-filling feel, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Looking good, it just suffers a little from the "must fill the corners with land"-syndrome… I love the two continents on the right, but maybe the one on the left could be tweaked into a less rectangular shape? Would decrease the corner-filling feel, I think.
    Yeah, I noticed me doing that while I drew it!

I redid the two bottom continents and now I'm working on a political map without any geophysical information. I'm playing around with shading and several effects atm to show the different emoires an dkingdoms and such. Not much there yet (apart from the new continentversions), but this is the current state of the map:

Name:	WeltPoli.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	59663

Unfortunately I'll have to work quite a lot until Christmas, but I still hope to make some progress.

The continent in the south-west remind me of a dog with a cloak. I'm sorry I see weird things sometime. Anyone else ?

I know I'm redrawing my old map too and this step is harder than it seems.
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

It's not just a dog, it's a poodle.

Damn, Azelor. You ruined my mind!! I see weird things, too, now!

Ah well, it's still changeable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast