Thread: Two-State Floor Barricades

Post Two-State Floor Barricades

Introduction:
    I have admired the level design from the Legend of Zelda series for a very long time. One aspect that I thought would be fun to include into D&D was the lever and switch functions that link would have to step on or hit with his sword to toggle.

After making a macro in Maptools that had the toggle-switch effect, and that was player-accessible too so the players can be better immersed, I remembered this little aspect of Zelda dungeon design:

Remember those two-state floor barricades that would limit your access to some places while granting passage to others when you hit those weird crystals? I do, and I think it'd be a great aspect to add to D&D. After all, I've gotten so sick of the party bypassing locked or stuck doors and having virtually every obstacle type memorized that I figured this might throw them for a loop.

So, I made some of my own two-state floor barricades to use with my lever macro. I also figured that maybe some other people might like to incorporate them too, so I'm posting them here. I hope you guys like them! I made sure to make them in different colors since not every dungeon looks the same and I made sure to make them very large so that they could be re-sized a lot.

Previews:
    Please note that to make these smaller and easier to see, I had to scale them down on IMGUR and thus have them converted into JPEGs. Rest assured that the file contains the same images (but about 4" x4" at 300 px/inch^2) with transparent edges as PNGs, meaning the white in these pictures won't be on the actual images.

Blue:

Brown:

Cyan:

Gray:

The file contains Green, Orange, Purple, Red, and Yellow versions too.

Download Zip:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w2...Barricades.zip
    Last edited by Altrunchen; 08-26-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Um, is there any way I could get feedback on this please?

What particular feedback are you looking to get? To me it looks like a good idea for some variety in your games. The tiles look good also...

If you want to use Zelda blocks as additional barriers to locked doors, then I guess these blocks of yours work. Like Falconius, I don't really know what kind of feedback your looking for. I don't need additional Zelda barriers in my tabletop game, and if I did, creating detailed squares are hardly a difficult thing to do. So I, myself, wouldn't use these. I don't see the attraction, nor need for feedback...?
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-05-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

I think they're very nice, and handy if you have to throw a new element into a game at the last minute.

They look very much like the Zelda ones.

I think it's just that most people have moved away from this sort of gaming, so they probably won't get a *lot* of use. But you did a great job, and I'd like to see some more things from you
    Have you "liked" a post today?