Thread: Novel Map (Interior, zoomed in)

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default Novel Map (Interior, zoomed in)

I've been plugging away at the first interior map for my novel manuscript, and here's the latest version (version 3):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Part 1.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	752.9 KB 
ID:	58104
    I used a few variations from Arsheesh's Eriond tutorial (my preferred technique/only method I have that looks decent). Since it's an interior map, it's a grayscale.

Topography is particularly important to the opening chapter of the story, so I did a lot of detail on the long, parallel ridges. The rock formations at Rum are based on the corresponding real-life Wadi Rum (A pretty amazing spot in Jordan). I tried to match reality as much as I could there. Everywhere else, I tried to show it as rugged terrain (rocky, uneven, and dry), but I was a lot looser with the particulars of the elevation contouring, especially in Sinai.

I opted to emboss the labels and icons, something I haven't done with the other maps I've made for this story. I made them semi-transparent because I thought they looked spiffy that way.

The Aqaba Ruins are meant to suggest a city long-since destroyed by a nuclear blast. I'm not fully satisfied with the look, but it may be the best I can get out of a grayscale map.

I'd welcome thoughts/suggestions on how I could improve this.

This was version 2 (An attempt at doing topography free-hand without using any tutorials), about six months old now:

Name:	Part 1 Map.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	58105

This was the original version, done about 8 months back:

Name:	Part 1 Coastal Outline copy.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	58106

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

For comparison's sake, here are some larger-scale maps I made that include the same area:

Name:	Part 5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	257.7 KB 
ID:	58114

Name:	Cover Map.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	58115