Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Map number 5 by Nian

Those Clouds are AWESOM!

how'd ya do 'em?

-GP
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

Wonderful map, very unique style!

I didn't do the clouds. They were too complicated and I found a picture on google. generally the clouds and villages/castles etc. weren't done by my although all of those were modified. in some cases I altered the shape here and there. The shape isn't hard to do, the swirls are annoying to reproduce in photoshop. I guess a different graphical program would be better for this.

btw. I am thinking about adding some kind of simple border but I'm not really sure if that is necessary. Still without a border everything feels unfinished to me. =P
    Last edited by Nian; 08-29-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

It is Fabulous. Just saw that you finished, i was following your WIP and find the subscription email now!
    damn, i lost all the progress in your work.

Nice map! I really like the style you've used here. However, I'm not fond of the vertical direction of the writing for the clans in the bottom legend. On the map I don't mind it so much. You're probably pressed for space but...it would be neat to see those crests enlarged as well (did you do those yourself?).
    Last edited by Sharpes; 09-21-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Guild Apprentice

The sumi brushstrokes work like banners for the place names wonderfully, the clouds are spot on as a Hokusai inspired culturally appropriate motif, and the warm chroma choices really make the icy blue waterfalls stand as strong as the Shinto gates! Amazing work thank you for this eye feast!

Guild Apprentice

Look at hokusai's views of mt. Fuji series, the horizontal aspect of the images are all given the feel of a border by simply doing a colour roll at the top of the page in a narrow band. The bridge and the cranes are great examples of this way around a border, yet implying a line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12