Thread: First Map Ever...

Default First Map Ever...

I stumbled upon this website today while searching for a way to create a fantasy map to go with something my husband and I are writing. Since I can do digital art (using Poser and Photoshop), I figured I'd try one of the tutorials here (Saderan's for anyone who's curious). Here's what I came up with, which isn't too bad for a first attempt.

This website is simply amazing. The maps I've seen are incredible and awe-inspiring and at some point, hopefully we'll be able to toss up a request for a commission... or several. We have no less than three worlds we play in as writers. (Our first novel has been published and is available in ebook format, just ask if you're curious. I'm not going to post it since it's not exactly relevant. )

So... opinions? Suggestions on how to improve or tutorials that I should read?

(p.s. hopefully this attached okay!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fantasy map.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	57287

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I'm assuming that's done in a photo editing program like Gimp or Photoshop, so there's not much on techniques that I can offer. I will say the coastlines bother me a little...it's like they are drastically sharper than the rest of the image, and really pop out at you. If possible I'd try and tone down the sharpness on them a little.

Quote Originally Posted by languard View Post
    I'm assuming that's done in a photo editing program like Gimp or Photoshop, so there's not much on techniques that I can offer. I will say the coastlines bother me a little...it's like they are drastically sharper than the rest of the image, and really pop out at you. If possible I'd try and tone down the sharpness on them a little.
    Photoshop, actually. I have CS6, so that might be why, since I think the tutorial is more for an older version. I did another last night that turned out a bit better and more like the example in the tutorial, but I don't remember what the coastlines are like.

Thanks for the suggestion and rep point! I'll keep that in mind when I do more.