Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all those adventures that never got run...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Default For all those adventures that never got run...

All that work planning an adventure .......and the players take a left turn at Alberquerky...

Not my work by the way....
    Last edited by Korash; 04-18-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Hehe, don't you know it. That's why I typically have more than one way to get them into something like this. It's too much work not to use it just because they didn't want to dive into the well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Love it

Over the years I've gotten very good at manipulating my players into doing what I want them to do and going where I need them to go, ever creating the illusion of choice (also helps having the same group for 6 years where I can pretty much second guess what decision they'll make before they make it). However... there's always those moments where they surprise you!

Yeah, I think most of the Masters have some sort of ace in the hole for this situations. Yet I have found that unexpected players choice can turn out on something cool (or on a complete disaster ).

Yeah, I tend to go with the flow. I've actually had it where a side jaunt determined by player decisions lead to a very enjoyable time for all even if I never did get to the big encounter/dungeon I had planned. If everyone loved it, you then have a feel for what they enjoy and can tailor the module you created for next time so it's more appealing.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Happens to me all the time... I generally had two or three adventures planned out for this reason...

Although; as Jax mentions it, I only prepare detailled GIMP maps for the adventures that I am sure are going to get run...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can relate to this on both sides of the GM screen (does anyone even USE those anymore...) On one momentous and life changing "adventure that never happened" My Kingdom of Shendenflar was born. All because my thief character didn't want to go tromping through some dumb old forest....
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I still use a DM screen but I am new at it all and sometimes I wonder as I rarely feel the need to fudge numbers. I love it so far though

Guild Novice

Happens to me about 60% of the time, and even more when I don't have a good hook. If you learn your players well, you can have some solutions to remedy the situation. If it is a low level side quest that was the evenings agenda I have even been known to just use the same dungeon I originally planned and fill it in. My players say that the ones that are off the top of the head are the most memorable though. If your players are having fun then you aren't doing anything wrong, just could use some ready remedies to ease the stress that might develop. I have a printout of all of the enemies by challenge rating to have a quick look up available. After a while you can just do any adventure from the top of your head, but be careful about it. Many players like to know that the DM is at least using the book for the stats and not making stuff up. Bottom line, know the game and have fun!

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I still use a DM screen but I am new at it all and sometimes I wonder as I rarely feel the need to fudge numbers. I love it so far though
    I use a screen all the time. Nothing to do with fudging the rolls--just makes them uncertain. I will frequently just pick up my d20 and roll it for no reason, particularly if they are taking a long time to decide on their next action. I'll pick it up and look at my notes like I'm checking a table.

I think in 20+ years of DMing I've only fudged maybe 3 rolls, all of which were to prevent a stupid character death where barely surviving would make for a better adventure.

But all perception checks and such happen behind my screen too. Actually I have a notch cut into the bottom of my screen with flaps of paper over it labled "DICE DOOR" that my players roll their spot/listen through, so they get the control of rolling but don't see the result.
    "We all take our risks, down here in the dungeon." --Bargle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast