Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default WIP: Dirt Pit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watery-pit-03-600.png 
Views:	523 
Size:	491.2 KB 
ID:	57309

I knew that I'd find a map in there somewhere. This is a variation on my 'Watery Pit' post that I made yesterday. Pulling the water out except for the small 'pond' in the lower corner gave me the idea of creating just an old dirt pit that was used for gods-know-what back in the day. Adding a log bridge over it and a small bush (yes, that's a bush...or it would like to be a bush when it grows up) gave the whole map a new feel.

Whatcha think?

-GP

BTW: How do you automatically add your signature to your posts? Or can you?
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I believe you have already figured that out GP

As for the map, I think for the lower pit sides (ie; where the bridge is) I think the side indicators should be overlain on the darker color instead of the light brown.The shape and position of the sides are good, but I would extend the darker brown out to the larger slope edge. Not sure if my ramble is clear or not, but as you look at the pit, you have the green, then brown slope then light brown bottom, then slope (of light brown) then darker brown followed by deep brown slope and bottom of pit. IMO that light brown slope should be of the first dark brown.

If that makes ANY sense at all.....
    Last edited by Korash; 08-29-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added comment on map
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Additionally - i thought about adding a layer of 'scruff' (loose vegetation like weeds and things) to "Step 2", the basic ground layer of the dirt pit. Any suggestions on how to do that?

I thought about just using a 'galaxy' brush (in gimp) and adding in some staggered shades of green here and there but was curious if anyone else had some ideas.

Thanks!

-GP

Ok - that's weird. When I look at my posts on here it doesn't show the signature line but when I browsed it on my phone - it did.

Ancient Curse?

Name:	watery-pit-03-numb.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	611.9 KB 
ID:	57314

To make discussion of the map easier (and because I'm at work so I had to use paint (shiver)...) I've added some numbers so we can more easily identify which layers we're talking about.

It sounds like that you're saying, Korash, that layer 1, the first 'step' down in elevation, should have the lightest of browns for its color and then get darker for each subseqent 'step' (number)?

is that right?

-GP

I just thought of this:

Should these maps that I'm doing (the ones that started out as a 'cave' but often became 'clearing'... should they be in another section of the forum?

Regional? Maybe?

I have no problem leaving them here but don't want to be putting the maps in the wrong place.

If someone knows or could make a recommendation that'd be great.

-GP

Name:	dirty-pit-01-600.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	491.6 KB 
ID:	57317

Ok, so I took your advice, Korash, and flipped the contour lines around the deepest pit (with the bridge) to black and shifted the shades in brown to show the deepest of the pits (steps) to be the darkest and then make each successive 'step' lighter until I got to the forest.

Name:	dirty-pit-01a-650.png 
Views:	403 
Size:	568.6 KB 
ID:	57318

Another variation was when I added a harder edge to them to make them stand out more. I really like the effect.

I think that balancing out what layers were lighter and darker helped to create the sense of topographic layers but I still need work on those contour lines.

Thanks for the help!

-GP

Ok, that bottom pit does look much better. However, the top slope make it look like the pit is in a raised area....

What I was suggesting is that slope 1 be a bit darker than flat 2, slope 3 be darker than slope 1 and flat 4, and 5 being darkest. The general tendency is to see a dark slope and assume it goes down, while light slopes are usually seen as raising up. You can see that easily on the slope 2-3-4, but the transition 1-2 goes the other way. If the top green is to be forest I would think about adding another texture to show that.

Otherwise I like this a lot.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Name:	dirty-pit-02-650.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	487.7 KB 
ID:	57352

Version 2.0

Comments? Thoughts?

Much better I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast