Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first world map - Feedback wanted

It's been a bit more than a year since I've posted but my little project has not ceased at all. The current version of the world map looks like this;

Couple of things I need to mention;
    - We're talking about a high fantasy world that is close to earth in several key points, the central world in my novel nonsense.
    - I realize the mountain range surrounding the lake in the centre of the right landmass on the right hemisphere is not quite realistic but it will stay the way it is for I have a certain purpose in mind for it (key role in the main story).
    - The style I use is a combination of my observations of JonPin's Omadra map with the "Sketch style worldmap in Photoshop CS" written by Moe and posted somewhere in the tutorial section (I don't have a link at the moment).
    - I leave details such as mountains, rivers, forests and the like away and save them for regional maps, save for when they influence borders.
    - I'm not fully happy with the landmasses but whatever the comments, the big green landmass and the blue one on the right hemisphere are not going to change. I need them they way they are right now.
    - The proper projection distortion has not been properly drawn and that might be the map's greatest flaw and it is something I may never truly get right.
    - I have tried to make the lands more natural and I think I have scored at least mildly in this endeavour.
    - Names of kingdoms and the like have been left out because they don't matter right now.
    Last edited by Iggy; 08-09-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Updated image.

Blog Entries

Well, one thing is that the compass rose shouldn't be included on this map as it doesn't preserve bearings.

All right, the compass is gone. I also just noticed something really stupid, two landmasses are identical to each other, one being smaller than the other. I'll replace the smaller one now.

Edit;
    Second updated version;

I uploaded it at the original resolution of 11,000 x 5486 pixels but imgur keeps shrinking it down.
    Last edited by Iggy; 08-11-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Posted an updated version of the map.

Another update to post, this time I have made a brave attempt at tectonic plates. I had doubts whether or not I should do them but maybe I can pull it off properly. After doing some study using "A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture", "World Builder's Guide Book" and an awesome atlas I bought from Amazon I felt an immense surge of mild confidence of drawing the tectonic plates of my world and here is the first result;

Please ignore the circular mountain region. Only the right hemisphere is done with most of the mountains drawn on it. I think it makes somewhat sense but what do other think of it?
    WIP - My world map (now with tectonic plates. Or something that remotely resembles them.)
    WIP - Ivaerus continent - A fresh new struggle in making a continental map.

Keep in mind that there is also rotational movment in tectonic plates so one edge could have sections that are moving two directions. Also keep in mind divergent plates also form features, such as a sea trench or the Jordan Rift Valley. A second note is that from my reading of the tectonic plate map of earth land seems most likely to form directly on the edge (if not from volcanic activity).
    Last edited by Falconius; 08-24-2014 at 06:02 AM.

All right, I changed some of the plates and added arrows to some to indicate their rotation movement. I also started on the left hemisphere, that one is almost done.

Last edited by Iggy; 08-24-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Updated world map. Again. Again.
    WIP - My world map (now with tectonic plates. Or something that remotely resembles them.)

Looking at your tectonics diagram I've noted a few things you should think about iggy. First, using earth ring of fire as an example, you should try to make all of your island chains on the edge of two plates. The reason for this is that island chains are formed predominately by volcanoes. Active volcanoes are mostly found along plate edges, rather than deeper inside a plate. Also chains always go from smallest (youngest) island to largest (oldest) island. This happens because as the island forms the plates are still drifting, which pulls the older islands away from the fault line where volcanoes form. As that island drifts away a new volcanoe forms, which will eventually rise above sea level creating a new island. The Hawaiian islands, Indonesia are perfect examples.

I noticed that most of your island chains are of uniform size from one end to the other and that a few are no where near fault lines. Also think most plates are only going to have islands (volcanic) on one edge, that being the edge rising up from the mantel. Most other islands will be small, coastal and barrier islands. These particular islands will typically be long and thin with very rough, jagged and rocky shores facing the open sea and very smooth straight, sandy shores facing the mainland. Other large islands on you're map that would be synonyms to England, Iceland, Madagascar, or Sri Lanka are going to be island that either formed from dead or long dormant super volcanoes, or would have broken of from the mainland, along a fault line, due to earthquakes over hundreds of thousands or millions of years

Also note that you have a tectonic diagram use this to determine where you will have mountain ranges. Where two ( or more if working with an intersection) plates collide head on you will have above ground mountains; the Rockies, Himalayas. This will also be a volcanic mountain range. Where two plates pull apart you will have an underwater trench (Marianas trench) and where you have two plate edges moving in the same direction it all be more or less geologically stable sith nothing really interesting going on, save maybe some minor volcanic activity or earthquakes (given the leading plate is moving faster). If the plate in the rear is moving faster then it will slide under the leading plate, pushing it above sea level causing the formation of an underwater mountain range, and eventually a continent.

I would suggest that you go back and re-evaluate some of your island chains and maybe reposition some of your landmass with these things in mind. Also keep in mind that there is a lot more to the geology and that I have only skimmed the surface. There many more situations in which islands can be formed and in which geological formations can exist and arise, but these are the basics that you would learn in any geo101 class.

Hope that this helps you with your works map and any of your future projects. And I also hope that it want to dry and lecture-y.

Stephen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Koch View Post
    Looking at your tectonics diagram I've noted a few things you should think about iggy. First, using earth ring of fire as an example, you should try to make all of your island chains on the edge of two plates. The reason for this is that island chains are formed predominately by volcanoes. Active volcanoes are mostly found along plate edges, rather than deeper inside a plate. Also chains always go from smallest (youngest) island to largest (oldest) island. This happens because as the island forms the plates are still drifting, which pulls the older islands away from the fault line where volcanoes form. As that island drifts away a new volcanoe forms, which will eventually rise above sea level creating a new island. The Hawaiian islands, Indonesia are perfect examples.
    You're confusing two different phenomena. Hawaii is formed by a "hot spot" and is far from any plate boundaries, one spot is active with the plate moving over it. Probably the simplest example of islands formed by vulcanism induced by subduction at a plate boundary would be the Aleutian islands which have activity along the full length of the arc at the same time. The Indonesian archipelago is quite complicated and resulted from a mix of different processes over a long period of time and it's not so much on a plate boundary as covering a medium sized plate (the Sunda Plate) with the east end of the archipelago running off onto some smaller plates and the Indo-Australian plate.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm currently having PC issues and I will most likely be reinstalling Windows in the coming days before I can take a closer look at the two posts above and make adjustments to my map. But updates will be posted for sure.

Yes, hai you are correct. Sorry that I got it wrong. Iggy listen to him xD. Though, while Hawaii is a hot spot rather than along a plate edge, the point still stands that the island chain hours from largest tosmallest, with the smallst island being the youngest. The mechanisms for this is still the same; as the plate drifts it pulls the older islands with it away from the hot spot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast