Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Earen - A Work In Progress

Map

Updated version, i started to populate the map with some towns and old tower/keep on top of the plateau
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earenmaptest2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	924.4 KB 
ID:	5133  

once again another update, this time the map has gone interactive, right now only one town works, search for it with your mouse the name will display when u roll over, then click on it to see some info about the town, this is for my players and i want to show it to you guys before they see it let me know what you think.

Link: http://requiems.110mb.com/earenmap.htm

I think it's six flavors of awesome and four shades of badass.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That is very cool. I have a couple of suggestions though. Firstly, when you mouse over the name comes up. This is great. However it should fade away when you move your mouse away again. As it is, the name stays up.

Also, I'm not sure a standard Times New Roman(-esque) quite fits with the beautiful hand-drawn style of the map.

I think your towns need to be made a bit more obvious. At that scale they are hard to distinguish and can easily be missed. I'd suggest a couple of clear angular highlights. The angles would stand out agains the softer lines of the map, and the highlights would bring them out from the tonal range of the other regions. The tower stands out nicely for this region. The tonal range is very different from the areas around. The towns to the south of the tower are hard to find because their tones are almost identical to those in the mountain range - particularly the one at the end of the mountain range to the SW.

I think the interactive nature of the map is awesome. It's something I've always thought was a great idea for a map, and this one does it brilliantly. Any chance of a tute on setting up the javascript behind this? Please?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd use some ISO towns, to make them more visible, and fix the rollover but otherwise it's dark and crunchy, I love dark n crunchy. That frame on the popup totally smokes. Very nice indeed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is awesome!!!

But I also agree with some of the otehr comments. The towns are difficult to see, something needs done with them to make them a bit more 'obvious'.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I agree, that is awesome, well done. very well done.
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

well i took in some of the suggestions and worked with that, as for a tutorial everything was done in flash (the animations) using a program called swishmax if u wish to know more i might be able to put together a tutorial for that but it is simple, its just a matter of showing hiding frames.

http://requiems.110mb.com/earenmap.htm

if for some it still shows the same map just hit refresh until your pc eliminates the cached file.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    That is very cool. I have a couple of suggestions though. Firstly, when you mouse over the name comes up. [...]
    D'oh. I never saw any of that; just the (lovely) base map. I guess I should loosen up my Java/Flash/ActiveWhateverStuff permissions ...

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Man that kicks sooo much booty. I've only done 2 programming things, I made my own dice rollers in Basic back in the 80s and a website for my business 10 years ago so any tutorial would be lost on a dunce like me, but the smart folks here, I'm sure they'd love it. Guess I need to find where I put my Dreamweaver stuff and learn how to use it. Gotta go find a napkin now or change my shirt as I've drooled all over it.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast