Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Earen - A Work In Progress

Wip Earen - A Work In Progress

This is a map i am currently working on for two things:
    A) Online campaign using D&D 4th edition
    B) Second story i am about to write. (Earen is the namy of the world)

About the map:
    The map was done entirely in photoshop and used a few tricks like you have seen in the first map i posted regarding a campaign setting with a Forgotten Realmish feel, later on today i will post a small guide on how i did all the forests in my map by simply using a small patch of texture and blurring and highlighting the borders. Any further questions might be answered when i get a break from work and my studies. This is a work in progress, any suggestions will be gladly taken!

About the world:
    The world of Earen is still young, the elves reign supreme above all other races, humans empires are raising and thus the world has still its verdant splendor, but for how long? I have not placed the cities yet but most of them will be heavily influenced by elven names, other ancient races include the dragonborn and the tieflings who migrated from other worlds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earenmap.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	795.3 KB 
ID:	5052  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's one of the nicest hand drawn maps I've seen on this site. I assume most of it is hand drawn rather than done with custom brushes?

A couple of minor niggles - the chasm to the SE looks like it should flood with water. Also, I'm not crazy about the sea texture but the land is spot on.

Good work!

This is a very awesome map. I agree with torstan on the water texture, I'd prefer it a bit more 'watery'. But the mountains and other details on the land are brilliant, there is a lot to see and imagine. I'd love to see where you take this

Blog Entries

Yes its very nice indeed. Looking forward to seeing more.

Ditto what the others said. The humongous mountain in the west looks really nice, especially with lower peaks blended in. As other stated, the water texture looks a bit off and is distracting to my eyes. The only other thing you might want to play with is to see if you can get a taper on your river. It looks like it starts wholly formed at the foot of the mountains. The cliffs and gorges all look great.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Man, I'll just go ahead and "ditto" what everyone else has said, and also, any chance you could do a tutorial on your style?

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    That's one of the nicest hand drawn maps I've seen on this site. I assume most of it is hand drawn rather than done with custom brushes?

A couple of minor niggles - the chasm to the SE looks like it should flood with water. Also, I'm not crazy about the sea texture but the land is spot on.

Good work!
    It was all done in photoshop nothing was hand drawn, but thanks for the compliments and i agree with you and the water, if anyone has any suggestions for the water texture please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Ditto what the others said. The humongous mountain in the west looks really nice, especially with lower peaks blended in. As other stated, the water texture looks a bit off and is distracting to my eyes. The only other thing you might want to play with is to see if you can get a taper on your river. It looks like it starts wholly formed at the foot of the mountains. The cliffs and gorges all look great.

Joe
    i must confess that the big mountain was formed using other bits of mountains, actually msot of the mountain ranges was done with little pieces, i will explain how i do it below. Also, i agree with the river ill have to work on that as well.

DROOL!

I like the water texture, myself ... it looks like marble instead of water, but I like it. You might want to make it look a little less smooth, though, maybe a photoshop "render lighting" or something to bring the variations up as a texture. Maybe you should apply some perspective, also, so the top of the texture is scaled down compared to the bottom, you know, to make it slant like the rest of the map.

But I definitely think you need some kind of shading at the coasts. The land/water transition is too harsh.

That's really beautiful work, man. Cheers in keeping it monochromish, too. I like subdued palettes.

So you write, too? Where do you publish?

It was all done in photoshop nothing was hand drawn
    Hey, one can hand-draw in photoshop in the same way one can hand-draw with paper and pencil! (Sometimes better, in fact ... Eraser ≠ Undo!)

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast