Thread: Rough draft please give feedback.

Wip Rough draft please give feedback.

This is a rough draft of a world map. The map is very basic with just the continents and major mountain ranges. Please give feedback

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CONCEP~1.jpg 
Views:	1263 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	57437

Nice start - the land shapes are pleasing. But you don't show much evidence of the view being any particular projection; have you thought at all about how this maps to a globe?

Are there islands that just aren't shown at this scale? One might expect a bunch more of several different sizes.

Think about how the mountains got there. It could be just your choice of a single symbol type, but it looks like these are all new, young, sharp peaks - is that what you intend? Do you have access to some compatible symbols for older, rounded mountains, or for hills ? Most of the ranges bisect a landmass - plausible scenarios for mountain formation might more to edge landmasses. There's nothing inherently bad about any one range.

Welcome to the Guild and thanks for contributing right away - we appreciate that. Enough that you deserve a starter bit of rep for the willingness.

Thank you for the feedback. I was going for a Miller Cylindrical Projection, but since this is my first entire world map I am working out the projection and any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

There will be islands that i will add later, and for the mountains, they are just place holders right now so i can work out where the major rangers will be. In the final there will be no mountains at this scale (20,000 x 10,000 miles). I have the ranges where they are because I started out with a pangea and cut it up into several chunks and moved them around until i came up with this. I then placed the ranges where two landmasses came together.

Wip

After the discovery of GProjector I have really taken too this world (that i have still yet to name) and the story behind it. The world is going through an age of discovery like the 15th-17th century minus gunpowder plus magic. Because of this i have redrawn the map in a dual stereographic map much like those in the 15th and 16th century (thanks to vorropohaiah's stereographic map that inspired me)

Name:	concept001spher.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	470.8 KB 
ID:	57477

The continents of Aldamora and Ishraga are the most accurately drawn they are the most advanced and explored (southern Aldamora is European-like and northern is going to be Middle-Eastern inspired while Ishraga is Oriental. Kardorus is going to be home to a former great empire that collapsed in a huge civil war and fell into anarchy and is now full of waring military tribes. Janholm is barely explored and no intelligent race is native to it, and very few that dare to explore this wild and savage land are ever seen again. I have yet to come up with a plan for Valnlan and am willing to take suggestions.

Here is a topographic map of one of the continents. I am not sure if the rivers are correct the seem a bit off to me.

Name:	valnlantopographic.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	57541

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurtzknight View Post
    I am not sure if the rivers are correct the seem a bit off to me.
    I don't know, your rivers seem perfect to me! You're not making any of those beginners mistakes I've seen so often on this site. If I'd have to give a remark, I'd say they look a bit too... regular. Like straight/slightly curved lines with some random squiggles added to the mix to make 'em look a bit rougher. Real-world rivers tend to be a good bit more irregular, with sharp corners where any normal person would draw gentle curves. But that's just a really, really minor remark. I actually like your rivers a lot!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!