Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Skenth - The known world.

Impressive work !

I love the way the waters are done and the coherence in the choice of colors.

Great map! I love the blend of colours in the ocean(s) and the overall position of the islands.

I loved your style from the very first look at your regional map you posted first. This is a piece of art!
    One little thing that...detracts...from my enjoyment is that i cannot "un-see" the damn dinosaur that is your biggest continent.

If i can, i'll rep. you.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    One little thing that...detracts...from my enjoyment is that i cannot "un-see" the damn dinosaur that is your biggest continent.
    Really? I see a winged seehorse

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for the kind words

Arsheesh, Max and Sapiento: Thank you so much! About it being a masterpiece... honestly it sounds extravagant but it probably is so far. I don't think I've put more time into another piece of art so far!! lol Just the same thank you guys

Chashio: Thank you! It's awesome to think I might inspire other people with my work I will post a WIP thread for my new map soon. I am working on the island of Arinthia from this map.

Jaxilon: Thanks!

Lingon: Thankyou I don't think I'd mount on a wall but I may post a photo when I get it printed

Clercon: Thank you! That's very kind!

Llannagh: Thank you very much! I am pretty happy with the border portraits to be honest. I'm glad I went that length in doing them.

vorropohaiah: Your point about the scale is pretty valid. I thought about it and may still add one. Since it is for DnD travel time seems more important. The only real sense of scale I have is the navigation dots I've added where the space between 2 large dots is 5 days of of steady travel by ship under average conditions and 25 days of 8 to 10 hours of walking. I realized the importance of a scale a little late in the process here sadly.

The unmarked land definitely is untamed or at least not fully known. For story reasons I would say a lot of the south and south east was created off an ancient map carved in stone by an extinct but massive empire where the paint has long ago fallen off and rumours and legends fill in the gaps. The people in the parts with the cities marked would be aware of the south east landmasses in the same way Romans were aware of China but without getting much information. In meta terms I didn't want to nail down a lot of details to give me creative freedom for what to do with the south east and keep some mystery going. At the moment in the world's history civilization has gone through a number of heavy knocks and has receded from its greater expanses with the states being relatively weak.

If this map gets featured I would feel intensely honoured! I'm trying to keep my expectations humble lol.

Ilanthar and Sharpes: Thank you you both! The oceans took a while but it would have felt odd to have the land be so detailed with little detail in the water lol. I tried to make the size and placement of the landmasses dynamic.

Eilathen: Thank you! I definitely will keep producing maps Hahahaha, yea I guess the Pterodactyl shaped landmass is a bit flamboyant and explicit. Maybe I shouldn't say so but I tried to work two other landmasses into monster like shapes too but managed to do so with more subtlety I think.

Max: Yea it could look like a winged seahorse too :p

I ended up adding a scale at the bottom. The unit of measurement is based on travel time which is what a lot of traditional measurements are based on anyways and suits my needs pretty well.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Maezar's Avatar

So very wonderful in so many ways!

I was going to tell you I like this map, but I noticed a mistake. The text underneath the Coats of Arms, you have 'of' twice in the first line. Completely ruined it for me.

Only joking. Great work, and, if any administrators are watching, I'd happily give this my vote for the Cartographers' Choice.

THW

Just awesome. I think enough people have commented about how great this whole map is. I cannot give you enough praise for all the tiny details (me being a detail oriented person myself), with the heraldry, the little border icons, the compass, etc. All these tiny details take this map one notch higher than most I've seen so far. I could explore it for hours!

Beautiful, of the maps I've seen I must say that this is my favorite. I'm just curious, but do you do commissions?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast