Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Skenth - The known world.

Maezar: Thank you!

TheHoarseWhisperer: Hahaha, thank you for pointing that out! Thank you for the high praise! I love your name by the way. I've updated all the maps on the front page just to rectify my grievous error

Veluux: You're very kind! Thank you for your comments! It is nice to have all the work appreciated

Robin: Thank you so much, that's really nice to hear! I have in the past for portraits and other artwork but not yet for a map. I would take them on so maybe this will lead to some!

Amazing work! repped!
    Orbis Terrarum RPG - The British RPG of Swords, Sorcery & Science.

Thank you fifty!

Hey all,

I've been visiting the CG on and off, but now I actually had to register, just to say what a beautiful, wonderful map you have created there. I'm already wondering how I could possibly build a D&D campaign on this. ^^

Two questions:
    1. I'm afraid I don't quite understand the scale. I see two scales, and can't decide which of them describe those standard leagues. Also, a conversion to our miles or km would be appreciated, so I can figure out climate zones and suchlike.
    2. Would you consider giving out this map in a printable format? I am actually considering having this done at a print shop.

Thanks and keep up the good work. =)

Hi Skinir,

Thank you so much for the compliments! Also thank you for pointing my attention to the scale again. I've fixed it up a bit but essentially a league is equal to about 125 miles with 4 leagues being about 500 miles. I prefer simpler "league" system as it is far more meaningful for me as the DM to know how far a party can travel in a day than the actual distance Interesting fact: the roman mile was based on the distance of a 1000 paces

I have no current plans to release a printable version of this map. I would be happy to print off a copy and send it to someone if they were willing to pay for it and the shipping cost though. I may organize something online somewhere or one day print a small booklet with a number of my maps from the same setting.

With best regards,
    -Viking

Ah, I understand now. So the edge length of the grid is about 15 days of sea travel, or 3000km. Dude, that's huge! So the map is a full world map, and the planet is about 20% bigger than earth (equatorial circumference, 48000km). Was that your intention?

Some other questions:
    - can you give us some pointers to the intended climate zones? For example, what are the "Golden Plains" comparable to?
    - do the different colours of the land masses reflect elevation or vegetation?
    - how massive are the mountain ranges supposed to be?

I suppose, if I end up using it, I'd cut down the scale to ~1000km edge length, so it wouldn't be a full world map. So climate-wise, Yoria would roughly correspond to Scandinavia, and Madenska to central Europe and the Mediterranean.

As for shipping a printout, I may be interested, if the shipping cost to Europe doesn't get too crazy. Well, we'll see, we'd have to discuss the details, no hurry though. =)

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

alright, this map made me say sorry to all my friends and the monsters of CG. I loved all style ( saving the fonts, that is a completely personal touch), the colors, shape, descriptions... this map is a thing that make my eyes shine, probly is the best map that i saw in my life.

I am subscribing in this thread, coz i am sure that i will use your map in my style development.

Last words: thank you for draw it Vik, and thanx to make me able to see new points in my learning horizon.

Guild Apprentice

Truly amazing piece! Well done sir!

Skinir:

The edge of a grid square at the moment currently actually is 3.5 leagues so 3.5 days of travel by ship. I essentially used some historical tools to figure out how walking and sailing usually compared timewise over long distances. Often it would average out that a ship on the long run would travel 7 times as far over the same time period as walking but I rounded it down to five. This is due to a ship being able to travel 24 hours a day I guess while people need considerably more rest I suppose so that assumption is made they might only walk for eight hours on a day without compromising their ability to walk the next day. I consulted the link found here about reconstructed travel times in ancient Rome. In D&D the standard distance a character can cover is 25 to 30 miles so I just made it 25. That's how I got to the 25/day by foot and since I determined ships go five times as far thus the 125 miles. A nicer round number would be 20miles/day and 100 miles/day respectively of course. Next time I make a world I may use more conventional distances but I'll stick with this metric for this world. I may rework for the grid to make each square correspond to five leagues.

Climatewise I tried to make the map feel similar as to how you'd describe with Yoria being like Scandanavia and Madenska more like southern Europe, Mediterranean and a little bit like the middle east in climate. Ostrothlia is somewhere closer to northern Europe on the south west side. I imagine warm ocean currents come up into the moon and sword sea while cold currents come down east and west side of Yoria from the Frost Sea. Overall the maps climate is not strictly modelled. The desert on the east side of the gullet sea on Kawthra doesn't really make too much sense for instance. If I were to do it again, I'd make the south east of Madenska and all of Dorpentr little drier overall and I still may. I have a bias towards woodlands and greenery I need to counter consciously lol.

The golden plains would compare to a warmer version of the prairies or like a cooler savanah. Colouration reflefts vegetation and not altitude. The mountain ranges are probably a bit exaggerated in terms of height.

Shipping costs across the Atlantic totally do get a little crazy I'm still trying to figure out something lol.

Aquarits:
    Thank you so much! I'm really flattered I'm honoured I could inspire you so!

Mariuccij:
    Thank you so much!

Greetings again Viking, thanks for the heads-up!

So I just misread the scale previously -- by your reckoning the grid size is 700km. Yes that makes more sense than 3000.
    As for the weather system, I could totally imagine a permanent Low centered right on the Kraken's Nest. Which would mean Yoria gets hosed with Arctic winds (resulting in colder climate than Scandinavia), Madenska is more blessed with warmer westerlies, and Ostrothlia might be way than you might think thanks to predominantly southern winds. Just a thought.

As for map prints, I'd be specifically interested in the Kraken's Nest area, i.e. roughly A-1 to H-11, printed on vinyl or similarly durable material. Maybe we can arrange something with a print shop in Germany? I don't mean to be a pain, though, so no need to rush anything, and please don't feel compelled to do anything you're not comfortable with. =)

Keep up the good work! ^^

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast