Thread: Kia ora!

Default Kia ora!

Hi there, my name is Robynette Sharp (most people call me Rob or Robbie) and I'm a fantasy tabletop gamer who has been working on a setting for upwards of two years now. I've visited this site on many occasions over that time to seek the tutorials on mapping and I finally decided to make an account!! I'm kinda awkward at this stuff and I've never really gotten my head around forums so... here's hoping this works out. What else is there to say? I'm a dork for sociology, politics and history. I'm really interested in fantasy settings that accurately portray the economic and social effects of wealth inequality as well as cultural or racial supremacist attitudes.

I'm a Pakeha (European-Descended) New Zealander who is currently unemployed and probably plays significantly too much Vicky 2.

Oh Vicky 2, so many hours wasted waging war against the Ottoman... among other things.
    It seems to me that inequality was at the base of this game. As a small industrial nation (Ireland) I was able to colonise and assimilate much of south-east asian population without much effort. 2nd power after G.B.

I haven't seen a lot of inequality in fantasy setting, so it's should be interesting. Generally the countries have the same level of technology. Some are richer but the difference is not as big as in the industrial era. As with cultural supremacy, nationalism is a concept that appeared after the middle age (or during the 100 years war depending on the source) so people tend to put that subject aside. I guess it's entirely plausible for a nation of that era to use social darwinism. That was the concept your where refering to, right ?

So, welcome to the guild, I hope you will enjoy your stay.

Don't most fantasy settings clearly demonstrate inequality and racism? The primary reason that games color the lower class peasants green and call them "orks" is that most cultures consider it immoral to kill humans, no matter how disadvantaged. The "genocide is acceptable because they're lesser things" runs rampant in most fantasy settings, certainly games.

Welcome to the Guild Robynette, nice to see another Kiwi here (we are starting to get a bit more representation here at the Guild). I myself am a U.S. transplant but have made New Zealand my home. Out of curiosity, in your experience how large is the fantasy table-top RPG community down there in Wellington? When I first moved to Auckland from the States I was surprised by the fact that I was hard pressed to find many gamers in the area. I eventually started DMing a campaign with a bunch of first-timers and am enjoying watching them come into their own. But it made me wonder if table-top RPGs were just not such a big thing in NZ?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh