Thread: Hello!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Applicant

Default Hello!

My name is Shamunti (Mark) and I am a mapmaker. i have always done this, since i was about 8 years old. I collected maps from national geographic when they came with the seperate maps to the state visitor's station maps. I even took a Environmental geophysics class in college to see interesting ways to map and visualize our world.
    I have mapped a semi-futuristic world since I was in high school (I am 39 now). It started as the "capital of the galaxy" but now is mainly a futuristic version of Earth with my own little deviations. i mainly have done 2 continents, HUGE but still limited. I mainly did the basic political map and then i did most of the cities on the two continents, but unfortunately, they are all hand drawn. I want to put them on the computer, but meh. Scanning makes it all dot based which sucks.
    Scanning the image and then drawing over the layer with Inkscape is an option? or am i just screwed?
    And who here plays Civilization V because of the nation building function?

Shamunti

Guild Applicant

Anyone else have a issue coming up with names for cities and features? Im not a linguist so I never tried to come up with a language or 5 for my world. So the names are all wonky.

Welcome to the Guild Mark! Well if you want the map to be scalable then you will want to redraw it using a vector program like Inkscape or Illustrator. If you used a raster program such as GIMP or Photoshop the map would become pixalized when you tried to zoom in. As for the best way to proceed, I'm afraid that is not my area of expertise. You may wish to repost this query in the "How do I" section. As to naming conventions, yup, that is a problem we all face. However there are some good tips over in this thread. Best of wishes to you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh