Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just messin around

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post Just messin around

I've been thinking about mapping hell and after recent, uh, setbacks on another map I thought I'd whip up some sort of "thing" to get me started. Take my mind off the past and move forward so to speak. Anywhoo, I'm not totally happy with the lava but that'll be fixed in the future with some variation in technique. Yes we have no scale-nanas (we have no scale-nanas today) and I think that scale could be left up to the user. I might turn this into a small village map with a dock for Charon and cemeteries n such but it's more of a test piece so I thought I'd put it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	styx1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	5080  

Guild Adept

Very nice. I like it a lot.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like the colour scheme, but it's way too dark for me to make out any detail on either of my monitors.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I like the colour scheme, but it's way too dark for me to make out any detail on either of my monitors.
    Yeah I agree, look like it would be really cool if I could see more of it...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I wonder why everything appears fine on my monitor and not others, I use the basic Adobe 1998 color profile in photoshop. Nevertheless, here's a light bright version (white layer on top of everything, set to soft light).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	styx1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	5121  

Heh, I was about to comment on how dark that first image was and scrolled down and noticed that others already beat me to it.

I really like the lettering and the colors are very evocative. Maybe you should have a gate on each side or a boat man or something.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Check the gamma set by your video card. Here's a test pattern:
    http://www.pinch.com/tweak/colorbars.html

Of course, I find that if I set my gamma "properly," everything gets really washed out, so my monitors are usually a bit darker than optimal. Anyway, if you can see all six boxes in the lower right, you can probably afford to adjust the gamma or brightness downward, and then you'll be seeing your images the way the rest of us do.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I wonder why everything appears fine on my monitor and not others, I use the basic Adobe 1998 color profile in photoshop. Nevertheless, here's a light bright version (white layer on top of everything, set to soft light).
    Much better, and it is as 'cool' as I thought it would be. Nice job.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Much better for me too. Do you know I didn't even realize that the bottom right burn bit was a word ! Perhaps my monitor is even darker than most. We were talking about color calibration in another thread. This is a good example of why its important but the tools and settings for it are so arcane that nobody does it or gets it right unless they are in the business of setting it up for a commercial venture. It ought to be easy but for some reason it isn't.

Took a look at that link from Mid...I see 3 boxes in the lower right. If I turn it up as bright and light as I can get my monitor to go, I see 4 boxes but the grays turn sorta green, it hurts my eyes, and everything gets more intense. If I turn it all the way down and dark, I see 2 boxes and everything gets duller. BTW, I'm using a Soyo 24" lcd monitor, 1920 X 1200, 500 nits brightness and 1000:1 contrast ratio (got it at Office Max for $250), it's supposed to be bright and sharp from what the box says (yes I still have the box) so maybe that's the problem. So I'll leave my settings where they are until I figure out my Adobe gamma program thingy (5 years now and I still can't get it right). I'll just remember to put that soft light white layer on top for everyone.

What I would like to know is how much can I turn the opacity down? This current one is 100% and for myself I turn it off so that it's dark and dreary but all the detail is still perfectly clear. So on a scale of 0 to 100, total black being 0 and too bright being 100, where does the first one and second one fall? For me, the first would be a 33 (because I can see almost every detail perfectly while retaining the dark and dreary emotion of the map - gets a lil dicey around the purgatory lakes) whereas the second would be 100 because everything looks so bright and cheery. The first has a range of dark teals, medium grays, and black in purgatory and a good range of browns, reds, and black in hell. The second has medium teals and light grays and mostly red with very few browns. If I can get a feel for what others see, maybe I can calibrate accordingly...or maybe I just have weird eyes or some sort of elven night-vision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast