Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** September Challenge - Map a Landship ***

Hmm, don't know if that's what Jax had in mind by a land ship or not. But I guess the definition is a bit blurry. Let's go ahead and allow that a flying fortress/zebplin counts as a landship.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Oh, I missed the last one. I really hope I get the time to enter on this. Very interesting idea to make my mind work

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hmm, don't know if that's what Jax had in mind by a land ship or not. But I guess the definition is a bit blurry. Let's go ahead and allow that a flying fortress/zebplin counts as a landship.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    If it flies, wouldn't that make it an airship as opposed to a land ship? Not trying to put the whammy on anyone's idea, it just seems to me that the concept of a land ship would have to react to the terrain directly beneath it in terms of pitch and yaw. If a flying fortress actually tilts when it encounters slopes, as opposed to simply rising or falling, I suppose that would work. I dunno, maybe I'm way off base here as I know next to nothing about how things work in steampunk settings.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    If it flies, wouldn't that make it an airship as opposed to a land ship? Not trying to put the whammy on anyone's idea, it just seems to me that the concept of a land ship would have to react to the terrain directly beneath it in terms of pitch and yaw. If a flying fortress actually tilts when it encounters slopes, as opposed to simply rising or falling, I suppose that would work. I dunno, maybe I'm way off base here as I know next to nothing about how things work in steampunk settings.
    You may be right Greason Wolf, I'm no expert here, but if it means an extra entry this month I'm OK with allowing a bit of ambiguity.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

The traditional response to what is allowed is "that's for the voters to decide".

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    I tend to agree but also know next to nothing about steampunk so I think thats what threw me off. I don't really have an idea in mind (just thought it might be fun to map a zepplin) and I honestly doubt that I will have the time to make an entry this month anyway...but thanks for responding guys.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

You could do a fish-people "zeppelin", with a balloon to lift their water-heavy ship out of the ocean and stabilize it on the land.

As mentioned it would be up to voters to decide if it was so far out of bounds they wanted to disqualify it. That seldom happens. I suppose it could come into mind if there is a tie-breaker in a voter's mind. If it was me and I was thinking of doing something like what you are talking about I would just make it such that it could land and somehow anchor down to the earth for extended periods of time or something....Originally the idea was some sort of moving fortress that remained on the earth but I feel a "skipper" of some kind would work just as well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

It's all good. As I said, wasn't trying to squash anyone's ideas for a map. And, as has been pointed out, it is, ultimately, up to the voters to decide. Jaxilon's suggestion of a "skipper" rings true for me, maybe only capable of short "skips" that require landing every so often. I might actually try to enter this challenge, if I have the time, but would also like to see what anyone could do with the "skipper" idea in particular. Me, I haven't a clue what I would do with it. I'll probably stick to something a little more rooted. Did I just make a pun there?
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Great topic! I try to be in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast